Police beat: Aug. 4-8

A toast to dear old grandpa

In the early morning hours of Monday, July 26, a University of Arizona Police Department two-man unit patrol car observed a Nissan repeatedly swerve into the bike lane on southbound Kino Boulevard at Broadway Boulevard. The officers stopped the car and asked the woman who was driving for her license and registration. The woman was visibly upset. She was slurring her words and her eyes were bloodshot. One officer also noticed the smell of alcohol on the woman’s breath and saw an open bottle of Four Loko lemonade-flavored alcohol. He asked if she had been drinking and she replied that her grandfather had just died and she had been drinking with her grandmother. The officers conducted a field sobriety test, which the woman failed. She was cited for a DUI and her car was towed.

Sticks and stones may break … windows

A broken window at the Swede Johnson Building was reported on the morning of July 26. An inspection revealed that the cause of the shattered double-pane window on the east side of the building was a rock, which had broken through and landed on the window ledge. UAPD conducted a search of the building and while there was no damage to the personal items inside, there was minor damage to other windows on all sides of the buildings. Whether the damage was intentional or accidental is still unknown. The estimated cost of damages is estimated to be between $5,000 and $7,000.

A busted headlight is just the beginning

A UAPD officer pulled over a vehicle late at night on July 24 for what at first was just a traffic violation — only one operating headlight. However, the officer realized the driver had a long list of other offenses. The man handed over his license to the officer and then told him that it is currently suspended, and has been since 2001. A further check on the license revealed that the man had a standing warrant in Nogales for driving on a suspended license and failure to appear in court. As was routine with the arrest, the officer asked the man if he was in possession of any weapons or illegal drugs, to which the man replied that he was not. However, when the officer informed him that he would probably be strip searched in jail, the man confessed that he had a small amount of cocaine he had bought earlier that evening. The officer confiscated the .4 grams of cocaine as evidence and the man was booked at Pima County Jail.