Arizona Football less than a month away

Rasool Patterson

Arizona football kicker practices long distance kicking in the new Cole and Jeanne Davis Sports Center. 

August is right around the corner and with it means Pac-12 football is less than a month away. 

But before all of that, Pac-12 football media day took place in Hollywood. Kevin Sumlin, Khalil Tate and J.J. Taylor all made the trip for the Wildcats to talk about their expectations for the upcoming year and what they need to work on after having a 5-7 record in 2018.

“We’ve got a lot of things to work on. When you only win five games there’s a lot of things.” Sumlin said. “One of the biggest things is consistency. Consistency in your life, consistency in your approach to the game and where are you as a team and as teammates.”

“Win every game. That comes with being a quarterback though. I got to move the ball and get first downs and touchdowns to be successful. ” Tate said.

Arizona was picked to finish fifth in the south with only Colorado expected to be worse. Utah was the overwhelming favorite to win the division and to take down Oregon in the title game in December. 

Only two players for the Wildcats made All-Conference teams. Colin Schooler made first team defense and J.J. Taylor was named to the Second Team Offense and First Team Specialists. 

“This technically being my senior season that’s my motivation and that’s how I think about it.” Taylor said.

Arizona kicks the season off against Hawaii in Oahu on August 24 at 7:30 p.m. MST for the first college game of the year.