UA Tae Kwon Do club heads to Vegas for national championships

Las Vegas is known for its bright lights and big title fights, but the UA Tae Kwon Do club will head to the entertainment capital of the world to showcase their skills in the 2009 American Tae kwon do Association National Championship Tournament at the Las Vegas Convention Center.

“”Our club sport program at the UA is amazing. We get support from several different clubs,”” said president of the club Kurtis Fluck. “”Our club is really excited about going to Vegas. We usually compete very well on the national level, so we’re well known around the nation in the world of Tae kwon do.””

Fluck, who is in his third year competing with the club, is hoping to improve on a disappointing performance in last year’s nationals.

“”Last year I didn’t do so great, but this year I’ve been training really hard,”” he said. “”I’m looking forward to doing a lot better.””

Fluck is coming off an impressive performance at the regional tournament in Mesa, Ariz. He finished first in the weapons, sparring and forms categories.

The competition level that the UA will go up against will be varied. According to Fluck, the club has gone up against athletes who work as sheriffs and police officers during their day jobs.

The club will be without one of their key pieces as former member Danielle Gaudio, who iss a fourth degree black belt, transferred to ASU.

“”She was the veteran in the club and she helped a lot with instructing and with her leaving it has left a big hole to fill,”” said Fluck.

The most experienced member of the current team is Kenny Ho, who is a third degree black belt.

Tae kwon do became an official club sport in 1991, but it has been around the UA since the early 1970s.

Each year, the club comes up with funds through petitioning to the Associated Students of the University of Arizona to get a share of the funds allocated from the university that are intended for clubs and organizations.

“”We try to be the best competitors that we can be,”” said junior and club treasurer Heidi Lyons. “”Our individual performances contribute to the club’s performance. We work a lot on being unified as a team when we go there and represent the university.””