Unbeaten Arizona faces Bears in Berkeley

Tyler+Baker+%2F+The+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AT.J.+McConnell+plays+offense+in+the+UA+versus+Utah+game+on+Sunday.+McConnell+will+face+off+against+Cals+star-point+guard+Justin+Cobbs.+
Tyler Baker
Tyler Baker / The Daily Wildcat T.J. McConnell plays offense in the UA versus Utah game on Sunday. McConnell will face off against Cal’s star-point guard Justin Cobbs.

PALO ALTO, Calif. — The No. 1 ranked Arizona men’s basketball team will attempt to extend its winning streak to 22 against Cal’s Golden Bears on Saturday night at a sold-out Haas Pavilion.

The game represents a chance to tie the school record for consecutive wins, 22, which was set over four seasons from 1913-14 to 1916-17. As head coach, J.F. “Pop” McKale won 21 of those games, including two undefeated seasons (9-0 in 1914-15 and 5-0 in 1915-16).

UA head coach Sean Miller was quick to remind his team that while being undefeated feels great, it is by no means the ultimate goal for the Wildcats.

“Our goal is not to be undefeated, so much as to compete for the Pac-12 Conference championship,” Miller said. “We’re just taking it one day at a time right now.”

Who to watch out for:
_Justin Cobbs — senior guard — #1
— 6-foot-3; 190 pounds
Cobbs is averaging 15.5 points, 6 assists and 2.7 rebounds per game. He scored 21 points, three assists, three steals and a rebound in the Golden Bears’ 89-78 overtime loss to ASU on Wednesday.
Cobbs scored 21 points, four assists, three rebounds and two steals in Cal’s upset of then-No. 7 Arizona last year. He did commit six turnovers, though, his third-highest total in 2012-13.

Cobbs was named Pac-12 Player of the Week on Jan. 13.

Richard Solomon — senior forward — #35
— 6-foot-10; 235 pounds

He is averaging 11.6 points and 10.7 rebounds per game.

Solomon enters Saturday night’s game as one of just two players in one of the six BCS Conferences currently averaging a double-double. He is shooting 57.8 percent from the field and is leading the Pac-12 in rebounds with 204.

In last year’s matchup against Arizona, Solomon was limited to six points, two rebounds, two blocks, an assist and a steal.

Fun Facts:
—Cobbs has the fifth most assists in Cal history, 453, 41 away from tying NBA coach Jason Kidd’s fourth place position.

— It will be a battle of the point guards with Cobbs and Arizona’s T.J. McConnell both being named to the 2014 Bob Cousy Collegiate Point Guard of the Year watch list. Cobbs possesses a 2.47 assists-to-turnover ratio while McConnell is averaging a ratio of 2.93, the best in the Pac-12.

Prediction:
No. 1 Arizona defeats Cal: 71-68

–Follow Evan Rosenfeld @EvanRosenfeld17