CATwalk aims to raise $50K

CATwalk organizers aim to raise $50,000 for the Bobbi Olson Fund at this weekend’s walk, which would be the highest earnings ever for the annual event.

The CATwalk fundraiser was founded by Hall of Fame men’s basketball coach Lute Olson in honor of his late wife, Bobbi, who died of ovarian cancer in 2001.

CATwalk organizers hope to continue expanding the scope of the event in future years.

“”This CATwalk has got the potential and is turning into a dynasty here,”” said Lisa Lovallo, interim director of development of student life for the Dean of Students Office.

Lovallo said they are looking at expanding the event to the magnitude of Family Weekend, a weekend-long experience.

This year, marketing for the event increased both toward UA students and the entire Tucson community because cancer effects many more people than just UA students, said Ashley Batstone, vice president of programming for Panhellenic Council.

“”Cancer will touch all our lives at some point,”” said Batstone, a psychology senior.

The Bobbi Olson Fund donates its proceeds to the Arizona Cancer Center, the UA’s nationally recognized cancer treatment and prevention facility.

The National Cancer Institute has deemed the Arizona Cancer Center as one of 40 comprehensive centers, the highest ranking awarded by the NCI, according to the NCI Web site.

“”Everyone who works here, everything that we do is deeply rooted in one thing: We want to cure cancer,”” said Paola Werstler, coordinator of development for the Arizona Cancer Center.

For a $25 registration fee, each walker receives a T-shirt, food and drinks, a coupon book and an entry into a raffle for $10,000 worth of prizes including two UA basketball season tickets.

Participants will be able to walk alongside 100 UA student-athletes and listen to the university’s pep band.

Registration is now available online at www.union.arizona.edu/catwalk and will also be available on the UA Mall starting at 12:30 p.m. Sunday.

This CATwalk has got the potential and is turning into a dynasty here.
    – Lisa Lovallo, interim director of development of student life for the Dean of Students Office

The sixth annual CATwalk will be Sunday at 2 p.m starting at Old Main on the UA Mall.