POBEAT: 9/30/16

Red eyes, green substance

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to a reference about a marijuana odor coming from a room at a Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall on Sept. 20. When the officers knocked on the door of the room, the resident let them in and they saw a baggie with a green substance in it on a desk.

When the officer asked if there was any marijuana in the room, the four men inside the room said there wasn’t. When the officer asked about the baggie, one man said, “That looks like marijuana.” The officer asked if that was all the marijuana, and the man said yes and then took out an orange glass bong.

The officers interviewed the men. One said he had smoked, and another said that he’d been doing homework for six hours and been staring at a computer so that was why his eyes were red. Three of the men said it was the last man’s marijuana, and that man later said it was his.

Two of the men had already been diverted and so they were cited for possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana, respectively. Another man was issued a Dean of Students referral. The fourth man had just arrived and had not been smoking.

Bags and bathrooms

A custodian at the UA Main Library said she had been trying to clean the bathroom since 8 a.m. but could not enter because a woman had locked the partition between the entry door and bathroom stall, and so UAPD officers arrived at the library around 9:45 a.m on Sept. 20. When the custodian had told the woman that she needed to clean the bathroom, the woman told her, “find another one.” The custodian said she tried to clean the bathroom four times but every time the woman refused to leave and the partition was locked.

The officer knocked and slightly opened the door, announced he was a UAPD officer and told the woman she had five minutes to finish what she was doing and then come out. The woman left the bathroom five minutes later holding three cloth grocery bags and a cellophane bag. The woman tried to walk past the officer but then, when asked, identified herself.

The woman’s records were checked and she was found to have received warning for past events of sleeping, blocking access and being in the library after hours—the warning said she would be issued an exclusionary order if she was contacted for any similar behaviors.

The officer told her that, though it is a public building, she needed a legitimate reason to be there. The woman refused to say what she had been doing in the bathroom. The woman was issued a six-month exclusionary order based on past incidents, restricting her from all UA libraries. The woman said she understood.