Police Beat: August 29

Sweating the minor stuff

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to a call from Yavapai Residence Hall at 12:20 a.m. on Aug. 21, after an 18-year-old male student punched through a window while under the influence of alcohol.

When the officers arrived at the scene, the student was sitting on a bench outside the front door of the residence hall. He was sweating profusely and had blood splattered on his shorts and hands. A 1.75-liter jug of Canadian Mist whiskey was sitting at his feet.

The officers asked him what happened and if he had been drinking. The student said that he had been drinking and then punched a large hole in a window in the lobby of the residence hall, leaving pieces of broken glass on the window ledge.

The broken window lead to the common/kitchen area, where another student had been sitting at the time.

As the injured student spoke to the officers, a strong odor of alcohol came from his mouth and his eyes appeared red and watery. When questioned, he said that he punched the window because he was scared he’d receive a minor in possession citation. The Tucson Fire Department arrived at the scene later and bandaged the student’s fingers. The student was cited and told to stay in his room for the rest of the night, then released.

Residence Life maintenance later came to clean up the glass and board the window.

Unlucky number 15

A construction accident occurred on North Vine Avenue at 9:01 a.m. on Aug. 21, when a construction worker drove his tractor underneath the west side of Arizona Stadium and crashed into the walkway at gate 15. The tractor was too tall and needed more than 10 feet of clearance.

The concrete walkway was only chipped, but the tractor was left with interior damage, including a broken hydraulic line and a pinched conduit line. The accident caused a safety hazard as the hydraulic fluid traveled from gate 15 to the north end of the stadium. A second construction worker helped the tractor driver clean up.

A UAPD officer responded to the incident along with the Risk Management hazmat supervisor, who observed the recently damaged walkway and said that the fallen chips of concrete were not a public safety hazard. Facilities management was also called to the scene.

The UAPD officer took photos of the scene and placed them into evidence, but the accident was not a criminal violation.

The incident caused $100 worth of property damage.

On Aug. 12, a similar incident occurred involving the same walkway and an Arizona Athletics employee in an Enterprise rental truck.

The bus to nowhere

A UAPD officer observed a suspicious situation at 7:25 a.m. on Aug. 19, involving a man and woman sitting at the bus stop on Sixth Street and Park Avenue. The officer noticed a plastic bag underneath the man’s legs that appeared to have a large glass container inside.

After about five minutes, the man took the container out of the bag and handed it to the woman, who took several drinks of the unknown liquid. The man put the container back in the bag once she was done, without drinking any of the liquid himself.

The officer approached the two subjects and asked for identification. Neither of them had identification on them, but they gave the officer their names.

The man was loud and angry, and did not want to comply with the officer. He was handcuffed and then searched.

The woman was more understanding and did what the officer asked.

Officers later found that the man had two outstanding warrants and the woman was on probation for an arrest involving marijuana. The man was arrested, while the woman was cited for drinking in public, but then released. UAPD took the man to Pima County Jail for violating his promise to appear in court for his previous shoplifting charges, and for violating his promise not to drink in public.