Pac-12 football roundup

Jim Gensheimer
Stanford’s Andrew Luck (12) passes to Doug Baldwin for a 29-yard touchdown in the second quarter against Oregon State at Stanford Stadium in Stanford, California on Saturday, November 27, 2010. Stanford blanked Oregon State, 38-0. (Jim Gensheimer/Mercury News/MCT)

CORVALLIS, Ore. — If there’s beauty in anonymity, Oregon State is gorgeous right now. Mike Riley likes it that way.

There are all sorts of reasons Oregon State’s sustained respectability over a dozen years now is a story line relegated to the back burner — the advent of the Pac-12, a rugged North Division, the goings-on down the road at Oregon. Oh yes, and the departure of OSU’s two best players — defensive tackle Steven Paea and running back Jacquizz Rodgers. All of it has conspired to make the Beavers an afterthought in the public reckoning.

Starting QB questions still linger at Bruins’ scrimmage

One question above all others hovered over Drake Stadium at UCLA on Saturday: Who’s going to be UCLA’s starting quarterback?

The Bruins’ end-of-training-camp scrimmage, set on a cloudless day in Westwood in front of a few thousand fans, provided no clear answer.

Kevin Prince had his number called first and struggled to move the chains until he took over the second team. Richard Brehaut led three scoring drives in four series, but did not attempt a pass in the one series in which he led the first team.

Two weeks before its season opener against Houston, UCLA deliberately featured a conservative package on both sides of the ball Saturday. Coach Rick Neuheisel still came away with concerns over the quarterbacks’ command of the offense.

What kept Andrew Luck down at Stanford

Life could take a left turn on Andrew Luck. The big quarterback from Stanford knows that. He senses the potential for calamity and will address the subject just as soon as he finishes another bite of his sandwich.

“All actions have consequences,” he says.

The football world did a double take last winter when Luck passed up the NFL draft. His unexpected return puts Stanford in the middle of the national championship hunt and makes him an early Heisman Trophy favorite. But the risks are substantial.

“I understand that things change,” he says. “It will be my fault … I won’t have anybody to blame.”