New ASA director appointed

Student government senators unanimously approved the appointment of a new student lobbyist during last night’s senate meeting after Andrew Record stepped down last month.

Paul Thorn, vice president of external affairs for the Graduate and Professional Student Council, will serve as an Arizona Students’ Association to represent both graduates and undergraduates and will help finalize plans to decide next year’s
    tuition.

Thorn, who will continue to serve on GPSC, said he will transition to the job easily because of the numerous ASA and Arizona Board of Regents meetings he has attended this year.

“”I’ve already been involved with the tuition task force, and I know what needs to be done to lobby in favor of the student tuition proposal,”” said Thorn, a philosophy graduate student.

Erin Hertzog, acting student body president, said she confirmed Thorn’s appointment after she sat on the panel that interviewed seven candidates to find a new ASA director.

“”No learning curve is necessary for (Thorn) because he’s very experienced and has been involved with many of the processes carried out by ASA,”” said Hertzog, a journalism junior.

Thorn will serve on the graduate seat to the ASA board. ASA Director Sam Chang will remain a director but handed over the title to allow Thorn to oversee graduate and professional students.

“”Paul is more than qualified and will do a great job in the spirit of the collaboration already in place between both the GPSC and ASUA,”” said Chang, a third-year law student.

Thorn said he ran for the position because he wanted to see graduate students represented better on issues like the Student Health Insurance Plan.