Police Beat: Sept. 3

Who steals a gas cap … twice?

A woman called the University of Arizona Police Department at 7:06 p.m. on Aug. 26 to report her Jeep’s gas cap was stolen when she parked at 1510 E. Second Street.

She said she parked there at 7 a.m. and when she came back at 6:30 p.m. her gas cap was missing.

The woman added this was the second time her gas cap has been stolen, the last time was on Aug. 24 from the same parking lot.

The woman said she didn’t know anyone who would steal her gas caps. There are no suspects.

Traffic stop turned marijuana arrest

A UAPD officer responded to assist a Tucson Police Department officer on a traffic stop in the area of Sixth Street and South Santa Rita Avenue at 10:58 p.m. on Aug. 26.

The TPD officer informed the UAPD officer he conducted a traffic stop on a gray, new model, four door BMW for not having a license plate.

He located a small bag of suspected marijuana under the driver seat and a glass smoking bong under the passenger seat with suspected marijuana residue.

He spoke to the two male passengers separately and both admitted they knew the marijuana and bong were in the car. They said they planned on smoking it after they ate.

The driver said the marijuana was his roommate’s and he had smoked from the bag earlier that day without the car passenger.

The passenger originally told the TPD officer the marijuana and bong belonged to the driver but later said he didn’t know who it belonged to.

The driver was not handcuffed when he spoke with the TPD officer in the back seat of his police car. He took full responsibility for the marijuana and bong and both men allowed TPD and UAPD officers to search their sides of their rooms and community area at Coronado Residence Hall.

Both men were cited and released for possession of marijuana and possession of narcotic paraphernalia, and both agreed to meet the officers at Tyndall Parking Garage after they parked the BMW.

The officers and men went to Coronado and explained the situation to resident assistants, who met them at the room.

The driver’s roommate wasn’t there and no phone number was given.

The officers conducted searches of the driver’s room and passenger’s room without finding any contraband or paraphernalia.

The officers thanked the men for their cooperation.

TPD and UAPD case numbers were given to the RAs and a Code of Conduct violation on both men was forwarded to the Dean of Students Office.

Incoherent woman locks herself in bathroom stall

A UAPD officer was dispatched to Graham-Greenlee Residence Hall at approximately 11:02 p.m. on Aug. 25 because an intoxicated woman locked herself in a restroom stall on the second floor of the building.

A RA who met the officer outside the restroom said the intoxicated UA student locked herself in a the stall and had been throwing up in a plastic bag.

The officer went into the restroom and asked the woman several questions but couldn’t understand her responses because her speech was thick and slurred.

There was also a strong odor of alcohol coming from the stall.

The Tucson Fire Department responded and decided to take the woman to University Medical Center.

She was referred to the Dean of Students Office diversion program.

You won’t like me unhappy

A woman called UAPD at 1:49 p.m. on Aug. 28 because she was having problems with her roommate at Pueblo de la Cienega Residence Hall.

She said her roommate’s father approached her and she felt threatened.

The woman was present when the officer arrived, but the man had left an hour earlier.

She said she had been having problems with her roommate when her roommate’s father came into the room and asked to speak with her outside.

The man told her he was not happy, that she won’t like him unhappy and he was going to resolve this issue.

Her roommate is moving out of the room and will tell the woman when her and her father are returning through the RA on duty so she can leave the room.

Larceny at the express

A man contacted the UAPD at 11:30 p.m. on Aug. 25 after his blue Verizon Wireless Blitz cellular phone was stolen from the Student Union Memorial Center.

The man said he left his phone on a table on the east side of Panda Express while he went to get a drink and when he came back the phone was gone at 8:45 p.m.

He tried to call his phone twice but the calls were ignored.

He said he will be reporting the stolen phone and closing his account.

There are no suspects.