Power 2k10 Headline

The UA School of Theatre, Film and Television will bring catchphrases like “”go green!”” and “”reduce, reuse, recycle”” to life during Power 2K10.

Power 2K10 is part of a living newspaper series based on the 1937 production “”Power,”” which illuminated the progression of electricity.

Now, 73 years later, students at the UA will address some of the hoopla surrounding sustainability, the environment and global warming.

A living newspaper is exactly what you think it is. Using drama, humor and some fictional characters and scenes, a living newspaper transforms some of society’s more complex issues into topics everyone can discuss.

“”Power 2K10 takes from the living newspaper tradition of comedy and satire,”” said Lisa Pierce, the director of Marketing and Development for the School of Theatre, Film, and Television.

This tradition dates back to the Great Depression, when the Federal Theatre Project, a branch of the Works Progress Administration, developed the Living Newspaper as a way to provide jobs for unemployed artists and journalists.

While the performances of “”Power”” were praised as comical and witty, Power 2K10 will use modern, satirical models like “”The Daily Show”” and “”The Colbert Report”” to make environmental issues relevant, relatable and perhaps a little funny.

The creators of Power 2K10 hope that their performance will lead the UA and Tucson community into a further discussion about green energy and our environment.

Produced, written and directed entirely by other UA students, Power 2K10 has a much higher chance of hitting home and challenging the audience.

“”Surrounding current events make this very relevant,”” said Pierce. “”Global warming and sustainability are hot-button topics in politics and even real estate.””

Expect to leave the performance ready to think critically about sustainability and laughing. No one ever said going green had to be boring.