Jump on the Bandzwagon

Type “”Silly Bandz”” into Google and you’ll find 1,120,000 results in 0.06 seconds. Go walk around the UA campus and I can guarantee you will find students sporting these rubbery, colored bands on their wrists instead of watches. The silicone accessory was originally conceived as an eco-friendly rubber band but has quickly turned into the biggest fashion craze for anyone between the ages of eight and 25. So what’s all the hype about? Well for one, they are a really inexpensive trend. For four dollars you can buy yourself 24 amazing, quirky bands in every conceivable shape — from a yellow ice cream cone to a purple genie, and the appeal of Silly Bandz doesn’t end there. It’s safe to say that chocolate pudding is no longer the most valuable cafeteria trade item because Silly Bandz are the name of the game. Silly Bandz have become so popular that kids are wearing dozens, even hundreds of bands on their arms. It’s like a pseudo-tattooed sleeve and the sales figures show the demand – a report by CBS says Silly Bandz manufacturer BCP Imports ships millions of bands out for distribution every week. Now the real question is, where can I get an orange giraffe Silly Band and why didn’t I think of something so ingenious?

— Kristina Remy