Police Beat

A man was arrested at the intersection of East Sixth Street and North Championship Drive for running a red light and driving with a suspended license at 11:03 p.m. Monday.

The man failed to stop for a red light while turning west onto East Sixth Street from North Campbell Avenue. When talking with an officer, the driver asked, “”I didn’t stop for that red light, that’s why you’re stopping me?”” and then added, “”I don’t have
    a driver’s license,”” according to reports.

A records check showed the man’s license was suspended and that he had two warrants for his arrest from the Tucson Police Department.

When the warrants were confirmed, the officer handcuffed the man and transported him to Pima County Jail.

A man was found sleeping outside the Park Student Union, 615 N. Park Ave., at 9:40 p.m. Monday.

When an officer arrived on the scene, the man was awake and answering questions from a police aide. The officer noticed a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer sitting next to the man. His eyes were red, watery and bloodshot, and his speech was slurred.

The man consented to a search of his pockets, and the officer found two vials containing an unknown dark green liquid residue. The man said he received the vials from a friend and that he intended to boil out the residue in the vials so he could store valuable rocks in them.

He informed the officer that he and his friend took a bus to the university area and bought a six-pack of beer at a convenience store. He got separated from his friend and decided to buy bagels from a Bruegger’s Bagels in the area. He believed that he was at the PSU and was reviewing brochures before he fell asleep at 9:30.

The man was told he would be arrested for trespassing if he was found on the UA campus without legitimate reason.

The beer was poured out and disposed of, while the vials were taken into evidence and given to the Department of Public Safety for analysis.

Police stopped a gold Dodge Intrepid for a nonfunctional license plate light at 3:35 a.m. Sunday.

An officer pulled over the vehicle at the intersection of North Campbell Avenue and East Fifth Street. The three men inside identified themselves with their driver’s licenses. The officer detected the odor of intoxicants.

The driver told the officer he had not been drinking but said the other two men had. He added that he was not the owner of the vehicle; rather, one of the passengers owned it.

A records check revealed that the passengers were 19 years old and that the driver was driving on a suspended license. The driver said he knew his license was suspended but that he had begun to pay the fine.

The passengers exited the vehicle. They admitted to drinking alcohol at an apartment complex on North First Avenue. One man admitted to drinking two to three cans of Keystone Light beer, and the other man had drank about two to three beers out
    of a red party cup.

Officers impounded the car for 30 days because of the driver’s suspended license.

While searching the car, the officers found an almost full bottle of Smirnoff vodka in a bag on the floorboard. Two of the men denied ownership. The third man said that the bottle was not his but that he would take blame for it.

A female resident of Apache-Santa Cruz Residence Hall, 1420 E. Fifth St., was taken to University Medical Center, 1501 N. Campbell Ave., after eating a brownie laced with marijuana Nov. 20.

The woman reported that on Nov. 19 her roommate and her friend offered the resident a brownie. She accepted and ate it. Later that night, she began to feel dizzy, and her feet became numb.

At 2 a.m. Nov. 20, the woman awoke coughing and had trouble breathing. Later that day, she went to Campus Health Service, 1224 E. Lowell St., where she was advised to seek attention at UMC.

While at UMC, she underwent multiple tests, one of which returned positive for marijuana.

An officer asked the woman if she thought the brownies smelled or tasted funny, and she said no. She also denied ever using or experimenting with drugs.

http://www.uapd.arizona.eduPolice Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.