Police Beat

Someone attempted to break into a white, four-door car that was parked in the Zone 1 parking lot at 520 N. Euclid Ave. on Oct. 2, reports stated.

Sometime between 8 a.m. and 4:50 p.m., pry marks were left on the car’s rear left and front passenger windows.

The marks appeared to be from a flat-edged tool, like a screw driver. The estimated damage was $200.

Police advised the owner to purchase a steering wheel club. The car has been stolen twice before this break-in attempt.

There are no witnesses or suspects.

A digital camera was found and turned into the University of Arizona Police Department at 10:19 a.m. Oct. 3, reports stated.

The camera was found at the Modern Languages building, 1423 E. University Blvd.

Police have no leads as to who the owner is.

The camera was placed into evidence and property for safekeeping.

A laptop, calculator and textbooks were stolen from a study room in the Main Library, 1510 E. University Blvd., after a student left them unattended for more than an hour, Oct. 3, reports stated.

The $1,200 laptop, $100 calculator and $220 worth of textbooks were taken after the student left them in the room and stepped out of the library to make a phone call.

The student exited the study room about 11:45 a.m. and returned to find his things gone at 1 p.m.

The student said he lost track of time during his phone call when police asked why he left his things unattended for so long.

Police have no suspect information.

An anti-Arab message was found in a study room at the Main Library, 1510 E. University Blvd., Oct. 3, reports stated.

An employee found the message written in purple pen above the light switch of the study room.

There were no other signs of vandalism in the room or the surrounding area.

There are no witnesses or suspects.

A license plate was stolen off a car parked in Main Gate Parking Garage, 815 E. Second St., Oct. 3, reports stated.

The car was parked on the third level between 8 a.m. and 3:20 p.m. The owner did not notice the absence of the plate upon arrival.

A National Crime Information Center report was generated for the license plate number.

Police have no suspect information.

An underage student was arrested for alcohol consumption near the Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall, 922 E. Fourth St., at 10:51 p.m. Oct. 3, reports stated.

Police responded to a fight in progress between eight men on the north side of the dorms. When they arrived, the fight was over. During a search of the area, they found a car abandoned with the driver door open. The keys were not in the ignition, but the radio was on.

While police were taking inventory of the vehicle, a man walked up and stood in front of the car as he talked on his cell phone. Police asked the man twice to leave if he did not have anything to do with the car or fight, but the man did not move.

The first time police asked the man if he was the driver of the car. The man yelled back at officers that he was not.

The man ignored the police when they asked him to step away from the car.

The officer then approached the man. Police detected the smell of alcohol and noticed that his speech was heavily slurred. His driver’s license identified him as a 19-year-old.

The man was handcuffed and placed in the back of the patrol car while police finished reporting the abandoned car. Police then transported the man to Pima County Jail.

The registered owner of the abandoned vehicle could not be contacted at the time of the report. The car was towed because police could not leave the vehicle unattended.

During the search of the car police found a bottle of Wild Vines wine and a bottle of vodka.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police?Department reports. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resume can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu