Former Warrensburg-Latham football coach Dave Hanson indicted for criminal sexual assault

David J. Hanson, former football coach and science teacher at Warrensburg-Latham High School, was indicted by a grand jury Wednesday morning on 10 counts of criminal sexual assault for allegedly having sex with a 17-year-old female student.

Hanson, 33, was arrested at 12:45 p.m. by investigators from the Macon County State’s Attorney’s Office and U.S. Marshals. He was booked into the county jail, where he was being held on $50,000 bond

According to the grand jury indictment, Hanson had sexual relations with the victim on 10 different occasions, from about May 19 to July 23, 2010.

Criminal sexual assault is a Class 1 felony, punishable by four to 15 years in prison.

Hanson is charged under state statutes that prohibit sexual conduct and sexual penetration with individuals younger than 18 if the offender held a position of authority, trust or supervision.

He is also charged with one count of aggravated criminal sexual abuse, a Class 2 felony, for allegedly fondling the student on or about May 8.

Hanson was released from his teaching and coaching positions by the Warrensburg-Latham School District at a special school board meeting Sept. 3. The reason for his separation was not provided at that time.

If convicted of criminal sexual assault on more than one count, the sentences would have to be served consecutively, Macon County Assistant State’s Attorney Mary Koll said. The sexual abuse count, which carries a three- to seven-year sentence, could be served concurrently.

“”The minimum amount of time he would have to serve, if convicted on all counts, would be 40 years,”” Koll said.

Hanson was the football coach at Warrensburg-Latham High School for five seasons.