Police Beat: Dec. 6

Damaged dash

A University of Arizona Police Department officer went to Sky View Apartments at 1:30 a.m. on Thursday in response to a theft. The officer met with a man who reported the dashboard of his gray Mitsubishi had been damaged and the faceplate to his stereo stolen. The man said he parked his car in the lot at the apartment building at noon on Nov. 30. He said he left his car unlocked and there was no forced entry. The only item stolen was the faceplate to the Kenwood stereo, which the owner estimated cost $150. There are no suspects or witnesses. Victim’s rights forms were given to the man.

Greek graffiti

A UAPD officer went to 1244 N. Fremont Ave. at 9 a.m. on Thursday in response to vandalism. The officer noticed blue-and-white graffiti on the blue metal UA sign at the building. The graffiti on the left side of the sign was indecipherable, but the Greek letters Delta, Alpha and Kappa were clearly stenciled in white spray paint in the center of the sign. The officer also found that a wooden gate on the southeast side of the building was broken. The officer photographed the damage and notified UA Facilities Management. Victim’s rights forms were mailed to the UA.

Fraudulent funding request

A UAPD officer responded to Old Main at 9 a.m. Thursday in reference to a fraudulent letter sent to the UA Admissions Office. The officer met with an employee who said the letter was from an organization that identified itself as the Federal University of Technology located in Owerri, Nigeria. The letter was a request that funding be voluntarily sent to a Nigerian back account number. The letter was placed into UAPD Property and Evidence.

Drugs and guns

A UAPD officer was monitoring traffic at Campbell Avenue and Seventh Street at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday when he noticed a yellow Chevrolet Cavalier driving 53 mph in a 35 mph zone. The officer conducted a traffic stop and spoke to the driver, who provided his information and admitted he was not wearing his seatbelt. The officer conducted a records check on the man and found out that his driver’s license is suspended and that he has two outstanding warrants from Tucson Police Department for criminal speeding and marijuana possession. The officer searched the car and found a pipe and a grinder with marijuana residue in it. Behind the driver’s seat, the officer found a black backpack containing an unloaded Intratec DC9 pistol and 30 round magazine with three 9mm rounds in it. There were 13 more rounds in a bag in the backpack. The man said the weapon belonged to a friend. The man was arrested and booked into Pima County Jail for driving on a suspended license, possession of drug paraphernalia and the two TPD warrants. The backpack and its contents were placed into property and evidence at UAPD.