Centennial Hall made into a ‘Funplex’

The B-52s performed at Centennial Hall Wednesday night. The band returns to the stage with a new album after a 16-year hiatus.

The B-52s performed June 24 as the opening act for UApresents Summer Fun Series, which is the program’s first summer concert series. This show marked a break in The B52s’ 16-year hiatus, giving group a chance to promote its new album, Funplex.

B-52s followers filled Centennial Hall and were clad in beehives and retro prints. The music transmitting over the speakers were oldies, setting the mood to take you back to the beginning of The B-52s.

The band opened its show with one of its new songs, “”Pump.”” It was a good opener because the steady beat, surfer guitar riffs, and minimalistic quality gave the audience a great introduction to The B-52s’ current talent. Another new song, “”Funplex,”” this generation’s “”Loveshack,”” got the band grooving onstage and gave the audience a chance to see the group playfully interact with each other.

Throughout the 16-song set, The B-52s ruled the stage with hip thrusts, go-go dancing, and classic tunes. The crowd chanted the words to each song while “”Loveshack”” and “”Roam”” got the entire crowd moving. People gravitated toward the stage and filled the aisles until security forced back them to their seats.

The theme of the night seemed to be flashing things: tambourines, rings, lighting, and the occasional fan picture. Diehard fans came in lighted-up sunglasses and hats while the stage lighting harshly flashed, giving this concert a rave-like quality.

The instruments were loud and tended to drown out the vocals of the group, which weren’t the same as they used to be yet still held talent. The group danced around the stage, enjoying what it meant to be on tour again.

Cheering saturated Centennial Hall throughout the night. The crowd demanded an encore, which The B-52s were pleased to provide.

The show proved that the group hasn’t lost their edge. They are indeed making a comeback.