Pride Week makes a few stops at Rainbow Planet

Debra, left, and Grechen participate in a craft night at the Rainbow Planet cafe on Fourth Ave. as part of Tucson Pride Week.

Since 1977, Tucson Pride, Inc., a non-profit organization, has been hosting and creating events involving music, performances and social gatherings. From June 20 to 29, TPI has planned entertaining events all over Tucson.

If you’ve been missing out on Pride Week so far, there is still time to attend some of these enjoyable and sometimes humorous events.

Rainbow Planet, a coffee house that is part of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community serves up inexpensive sandwiches, desserts and locally roasted coffee, will be hosting three more nights of events starting tonight. Tonight’s event, “”Bear Night,”” will begin around 7 and end at 10. Bear Night is hosted by the social group Bears of the Old Pueblo, which breaks the stereotype of what a gay man is.

“”The group is mostly older gay males of size who do not fit into the norm of gay society,”” Rainbow Planet employee Matt Fhreev said.

Normally, the Bears visit the coffeehouse every Wednesday, indulging in conversation as well as the menu.

On Thursday, Rainbow Planet will host The Southern Arizona Gender Alliance (SAGA) Desert Girls. Desert Girls will be holding their monthly meeting there at 7 p.m. This is a great opportunity to engage in conversation about the issues surrounding the GLBT community. Rainbow Planet offers the largest garden patio on Fourth Avenue and plenty of relaxing couches and chairs for places of conversation.

The Out Loud and Queer as well as an open mic will wrap up Pride Week on Sunday from 7-10 p.m. The event will have featured performers as well as time for anyone who would like to read their own work. The event gives the opportunity to listen and perhaps read the experiences of the GLBT community.

Rainbow Planet is located at 606 N. Fourth Ave. All events are free. For more information, call (520) 620-1770. For a complete list of Pride Week events, visit the Tucson Pride Web site at www.tucsonpride.org.