Monkeys explode onto music scene

Monkeys explode onto music scene

In only a few weeks, the Arctic Monkeys have gone from no-names to having one of the fastest-selling debuts in history.

Their first album, aptly titled Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not, has been anticipated for a couple of years now. But nobody really knew how much this band would explode once its recording hit the scene.

“”What do you know/You know nothing,”” lead singer Alex Turner yells on the toe-tapper “”Still Take You Home.”” While tight guitar rhythms and persistent drumbeats hit in the background, you know this single is out to do one thing: rock.

Lowdown

Arctic Monkeys
    Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not
    Domino
    Sounds Like: The Strokes

And that’s probably why the band is so popular. With a sound similar to a hard-rock Strokes or Oasis, the Arctic Monkeys play extremely catchy up-tempo dance music. Each single is hard-hitting with a strong and distinctive melody that sticks in your head and makes you want to move your hands and feet around in every direction.

The guitar rhythms on the album sound like elementary three-chord punk, but in a good way. The Arctic Monkeys don’t waste time with fancy notes and pretentiousness and instead pound out blistering rhythms. With his powerful voice, Turner explodes simple, relatable lyrics that sometimes can get a bit quirky. “”Cause all you people are vampires/and all your stories are stale/and though you pretend to stand by us/I know you’re certain we’ll fail.””

Well, vampires can be wrong.