Police Beat: August 30

Resident throws tantrum, furniture

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to Yavapai Residence Hall at 1:12 a.m. on Aug. 21, to a report of a student was throwing furniture around his room.

This wasn’t the first time UAPD had to step in that day. Earlier, the student had been arrested for minor in possession of alcohol. He was cited and released, but agreed to stay in his room and sleep for the rest of the night.

When the UAPD officer arrived at the student’s dorm for the second time that night, he could hear loud crashing noises coming from the student’s room. He knocked on the door and received an inappropriate verbal response. The officer announced who he was and the student cracked the door, exposing his out-of-place furniture.

The student then tried to slam the door shut, but the officer and a residence assistant entered the room to secure the student so he wouldn’t harm himself in his intoxicated state. He was then put into double-locked handcuffs and sat down in a chair.

The officer stepped outside to talk with the RA, who said the student was being very loud and disruptive, and since it was quiet hours at that time, it was unacceptable that he was making so much noise. The RA said that he would like to participate in any further proceedings in regards to the student’s case, so the officer gave the RA a Victim’s Rights Form.

The student was then arrested, taken to Pima County Jail and referred to the dean of students’ office for violating the code of conduct.

Knocked over with car

A hit and run occurred on Tyndall Avenue at 8:50 p.m. on Aug. 21. According to a witness, a black, four-door passenger car backed into a motorcycle parked in lot 5072. The car was moving slowly, but still struck the motorcycle hard enough to knock it to the ground.

After hitting the motorcycle, the vehicle continued on its way, northbound on Tyndall Avenue.
    Using the license plate number given by the witness, the UAPD officer who responded to the incident was able to track down the name of the vehicle’s driver. He attempted to call the vehicle owner twice, but the woman didn’t respond, so he left a message for her stating the case number and telling her to contact UAPD immediately.

The owner of the motorcycle later examined his motorcycle and found very little damage. He asked not to participate in any future judicial proceedings.

Student says swiper stole his permit

A motorcycle parking permit was stolen between 3 and 4:30 p.m. on Friday.

The owner of the motorcycle was a 19-year-old UA student who was parked in his assigned motorcycle parking space just west of the Mathematics Building. He paid about $116 for the permit and an extra $6 for the glass hanger to hold his permit. The permit and the glass hanger were gone when he returned to his motorcycle that morning.

The student called UA Parking and Transportation Services to receive a replacement permit, but he had to pay $50 for the replacement.

There is no further information at this time, but the student asked to be involved with any future proceedings.

Or just watch where you’re going

A UAPD officer noticed a bent traffic sign pole in the Lowell traffic circle at 7:51 p.m. on Monday.
    The pole stated that no stopping, standing or parking was allowed within the circle.

It was bent in such a way that if someone wasn’t paying attention, they could walk right into it. The pole had scratch marks about eight inches from the ground and appeared wrinkled. It had split where it connected to the support pipe running underground.

The officer straightened the pole and contacted Facilities Management for a replacement.