“Homecoming King hopefuls sport civic, academic accomplishments”

Friday, November 9, 1984

The same week Americans elect one man to lead the United States, students at the University of Arizona are choosing their own representative –the 1984 Homecoming King.

The elections, sponsored by Mortar Board, the women’s and en’s senior honorary, were held yesterday to see which of the five finalists would become the second annual Homecoming King.

Mortar Board will crown the victor officially at a three-hour, all campus celebration tonight at the Ramada Inn, 404 N. Freeway, from 8 to 11 p.m.

“”The (the contest participants) come from a diverse set of backgrounds and they represent the campus well,”” said Kelly J. Barr, homecoming king selections chairwoman for Mortar Board.

Letters were sent from the Mortar Board to all the UA’s deans, department heads and organization presidents asking them to nominate two senior men “”who had made unique contributions to the university or to the community and who was excellent academically,”” Barr said.

Forty senior men were nominated for the honor with a large number of the nominees coming from clubs and organizations.

Only one academic department, the drama department, turned in a name for consideration, she said.

Out of the 40 applicants, 24 were granted interviews based on their high application scores with Mortar Board members.

That group was narrowed down to 10 semi-finalists, who were interviewed by a five-member committee composed of UA administrators and alumni, Barr said.

“”It was a very, very difficult decision because our top 10 were really the best that anybody could have selected,”” she said.

But when the smoke cleared, five men walked away as finalists. They are

o   Jeffry Bergin, who has a 3.0 grade point average and is a marketing major. This year at the UA, Bergin is involved with Blue Key, Associated Students of the University of Arizona Concerts, Sunrisers, Camp Wildcat and is a pledge trainer of Phi Gamma Delta.

o  Gregory Hariton holds down a 3.6 GPA as a general biology-psychology double major while working 36 hours a week as an emergency-room technician and lab assistant at University Medical Center.

Hariton is a resident assistant at Yavapai Hall, and a member of Arizona Ambassadors, Blue Key, Phi Eta Sigma, the Honor Student Planning Board and Psi Chi. He was named Outstanding Honor Student of the Year 1983-84.

o Joseph Kreamer is a political science major with a 3.8 GPA. As a member of Sigma Chi fraternity, he serves as the UA chapter’s philanthropy chairman and the chairman of the Sigma Chi-Tau Kappa Epsilon football run for Easter Seals.

Kramer is also a member of the ASUA Arizona Students Association task force. In addition to his campus activities, Kramer is a teacher for five year olds at Mary Moppets Day Care center.

o Jeffrey Murphy has a 3.47 GPA as a general studies major composed of humanities, classics, and religion. He was named Sigma Chi Pledge of the Year last year and is currently the fraternity’s scholarship chairman.

Murphy is a resident assistant in Kaibab-Huachuca Hal and is involved with his church.

o Robert Zehner plans to graduate from the UA in three years with a general business degree and has a 4.0 GPA. He is captain of the Arizona Lacrosse Club Laxcats, and is a member of the honor societies Chain Gang and Traditions.

He is also social chairman for Phi Gamma Delta fraternity and a member of the Interfraternity Council rush committee.

“”These five finalists are a credit to their friends, families, campus organizations and to the University of Arizona as a whole,”” Barr said.

The finalists, who were chosen Oct. 23, have been visiting various organizations during the past two weeks. This week, each was interviewed by Ed Sorensen on Channel 9 KGUN-television.

KGUN also interviewed each of the five finalists for Homecoming Queen, who are selected by Bobcats, the senior men’s honorary.

“”Bobcats has been extremely cooperative this year. Their members and Mortar Board members have worked together to unify a royalty selection process,”” Barr said.

The King and Queen along with their royal court will be officially introduced at tomorrow night’s football game against Stanford.