Arizona Repertory Theatre continues season with “Polaroid Stories”

“Polaroid Stories” presented by the Arizona Repertory Theatre and the University of Arizona School of Theatre, Film & Television. (Courtesy of Tim Fuller)

The second production of the Arizona Repertory Theatre’s 2022-23 season is set to begin this Thursday, Oct. 27, with an eight-show run of “Polaroid Stories” by Naomi Iizuka.

Based on Ovid’s “Metamorphoses” and a series of interviews conducted by the playwright, ART’s second offering of the season will present the audience with classical archetypes interwoven with contemporary characters in a “tale of young people pushed to society’s fringe,” according to a written statement from the University of Arizona School of Theatre, Film & Television.

“Interwoven are these central themes of oppression, triumph, struggle, love, trying to reconcile circumstance, [trying to] not get into adversity, loss,” said Hank Stratton, artistic director of the Arizona Repertory Theatre and director of their upcoming production. “I think audience members will be intrigued, excited and inspired by the cumulative effect [of this play].”

This will be the ART’s first production of the season in Tornabene Theatre. While it’s normally used two to three times a year by AZ Rep., the Tornabene will be their home for the foreseeable future. Renovations to their home stage, the Marroney Theatre, began on Oct. 24 and will continue for at least the next calendar year.

While the Tornabene is a familiar setting for ART, the design elements of “Polaroid Stories” will be especially unique in their own right. Featuring lighting designed by Christopher Mason and projection designed by Joe C. Klug, the production will feature students from the school’s acting and musical theater program to produce an awareness of an “invisible world,” Stratton said.

“What I really hope audiences walk out with is a sense of this invisible world that is around us, all of these youths in crisis who are very easy to make invisible,” Stratton said. “This could be any one of us, this could be any one of our kids.” 

The heavy themes central to “Polaroid Stories” have not been missed by cast members like Alyssa DiRaimondo, who plays the role of Eurydice.

“In my research it became astonishingly clear to me how homelessness can happen to anyone in our society,” she said in a written release. “The characters in Polaroid Stories are based on real people and their stories. Retelling their stories as authentically as possible isn’t just my goal, but my responsibility.” 

Joining DiRaimondo on stage will be Caleb Files, playing the role of D; Brooke Gorman as Persphone/Semele; Ray Cuevas in the role of Orpheus; Camden Stankus as Philomel; Bella Santoni in the role of SKINHEADgirl; Max Murray as SKINHEADboy; Alex Simpson as Narcissus; Emma Sage in the role of Echo; and Babacar Ba as G.

For all dates, times and ticketing information, go to theatre.arizona.edu/shows/polaroid-stories.

What: “Polaroid Stories” presented by the Arizona Repertory Theatre and the University of Arizona School of Theatre, Film & Television.

Where: Tornabene Theatre, 1025 N. Olive Road, Tucson

When: Oct. 23 – Nov. 6. 

Tickets: theatre.arizona.edu/shows/polaroid-stories

*El Inde Arizona is a news service of the University of Arizona School of Journalism.  

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter