Mailbag

OASIS Program avidly protects victim privacy

On behalf of the OASIS Program for Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence, we would like to thank the Arizona Daily Wildcat for covering the topic of underreported sexual assaults Tuesday. But it is necessary to clarify an important point for readers regarding the investigation of such assaults. The OASIS Program does not investigate any crimes reported to our office; rather, we provide advocacy by informing clients of the numerous legal, medical and mental health assistance options available to them. Students, staff or faculty reporting assaults to the OASIS Program can be assured that confidentiality is avidly protected within our victim-centered service model. It has been our experience that when individuals have opted to participate in a law enforcement process, the University of Arizona Police Department has provided effective and sensitive responses to our clients. The collaborative efforts of the OASIS Program and UAPD continue to be critical elements in increasing campus safety, yet it is important for our community to understand the distinction between a law enforcement response and a victim advocacy response to reports of violence and abuse. For more information on the OASIS Program please visit our Web site, oasis.web.arizona.edu, or call 626-2051.

Tina Tarin, M.Ed.
    Michelle Dorsey, Ph.D.
    OASIS Program

Israel peaceful, acts done in self-defense

I was quite taken by Marian Lacy’s observations in her Nov. 21 column “”A vision of peace, a reality of hypocrisy”” regarding her visit to Israel. Unfortunately, her observations and opinions do not accurately reflect past events or obvious facts on the ground. I would have hoped that someone studying at this university would be able to analyze things in an unbiased and intellectually honest fashion.

The fact that Lacy was interrogated at the airport is a simple reflection that Israel has a significant Arab terrorism and security problem. Rather than complaining, she should admire the efficiency and professionalism of the security officials. Everyone entering and leaving Israel undergoes a security check of one type or another. Israel is an open society, and she was permitted to proceed to her destination.

Lacy accuses Israel of “”injustice and aggression”” despite the fact that it was attacked by six Arab armies at its independence in 1948, subjected to acts of war in 1967, invaded by Syria and Egypt on Yom Kippur in 1973 and most recently by Hezbollah. Lacy seems to conveniently ignore such facts, as they do not serve her propagandistic purposes.

Contrary to statements in the article, all Israelis of any religion are citizens with the right to vote and are represented in the parliament (Knesset) of the only democracy in the Middle East. Israeli Arabs have access to schools, universities and hospitals. In fact, Israel started the universities on the West Bank when it took over from the Jordanians (the Palestinians’ Arab brethren) in 1967.

There is no question that the security fence (not “”wall””) impacts Palestinian movement and its economy. The real question is: Why the fence? Simple – it prevents Palestinian terrorists from blowing up pizza parlors and school buses. And it works! Israel legitimately has taken this step after years of being subjected to numerous attacks on its civilians, despite the Palestinian agreement to desist. Also missing from Lacy’s analysis is the fact that Palestinian economic hardships have been vastly worsened by corruption and outright theft by their leadership of millions of dollars of aid. Anybody checked Mrs. Arafat’s bank balance lately? She is living in luxury in Paris on American and European donations sent to help the Palestinian economy.

Lacy reveals her true biases by the ludicrous comment that Israel is a “”racist society.”” Israel is a true democratic country consisting of multiple races and religions living in a dangerous neighborhood. Despite its severe security issues, Israel maintains its institutions of freedom as well as a rule of law. Israel’s Arab neighbors would do well to stop throwing stones (and katushas and quassams) – and perhaps learn from Israel’s way of life.

Daniel N. Karsch
    retired physician and former UA associate professor

Parking should be free on game days

I do not understand why UA Parking and Transportation Services makes students pay to park on game days. All parking lots and structures should be free to students on game days. When I have to pay to park at the place I pay to go to school, it makes me feel like the university is ripping me off. I’m a poor college student without a parking permit because I was told it is OK to park in Zone 1 lots after 5 p.m. On game days, I am unable to do so and am forced to pay, even if I am not going to the game. I am extremely disappointed in the parking situation at the UA. There is simply no place to park on game days. I parked in front of the Hillenbrand Aquatic Center on a game day to see my friend practice at the pool. After watching my friend, I came out to see my car being towed. I explained to the man that the signs say there is no enforcement after 5 p.m. He let me take my car and go. I left, very confused, with a $45 ticket. Parking should be free to students on game days. We pay to go to school here, so why should we pay for parking?

Chris Pasanella
    undeclared freshman