Home not so sweet for UA men’s golf team

Home field advantage is usually viewed as a leg-up in today’s sports world. Professional teams never overlook its importance, as it is something earned by only the top teams deserving of the reward. For the Arizona men’s golf team, home course advantage has not been so sweet to them this week.

As round two of the National Invitational Tournament at the Omni Tucson National Golf Resort and Spa wrapped up yesterday, the Wildcats found themselves tied for sixth place with No. 35 Pepperdine, 19 strokes behind Texas Christian. The team played particularly well throughout the day, and after holding onto third place with three holes to go, the team shot a combined 8-over-par and dropped all the way to six. Expectations always run high for teams who play in home tournaments, but quite often can be a disadvantage as well.

“”A lot of the time, you don’t play well at your own home tournament,”” said assistant coach John Knauer. “”The pressures that go along with playing on your own home course often have an effect on the tournament.””

The Wildcats had a rough day on the course, but through all the lineup changes that have taken place over the past few weeks, they may have found a starting five that will finally stay put.

Senior Creighton Honeck led the way for the team, shooting a 2-under-par to finish in a tie for ninth place. Freshman Tarquin MacManus shot an even 72 to sit at 3-over-par for the tournament in a tie at 29th place with junior Tyler Neal, who shot a 2-over-par to sit at 3-over-par for the tournament, also tied for 29th place.

Freshman Jonathan Khan shot a 2-over-par and currently sits at 4-over-par for the tournament in a tie for 38th place. Freshman Roberto Galleti struggled, shooting a 5-over-par to stand at 11-over-par for the tournament, tied for 69th place.

The freshmen scores reflect the missing piece that the Wildcats have been searching for over the past few weeks – the fourth and fifth player that can keep them in the running.

The Wildcats will be looking to continue their team play today and will hope that they can make a run as they solidify their team.

“”We just need to find a way to all come together,”” Khan said.