Students getting prepared for graduation

Ordering her cap and gown, inviting her family and friends to commencement ceremonies and waiting to find out where she’ll work and live after graduation are a few of the things on Melissa Howell’s mind.

Howell, a business administration senior, is planning to graduate in May. She completed her degree candidate requirements last semester.

It’s a good idea for students to begin their degree candidacy process as they register for their final semester to assure they have all their requirements for their degree, said Celeste Pardee, coordinator for Graduation Services and associate registrar.

But it’s not too late for students planning to graduate this May, Pardee said.

Students who want to finish their degree can apply up until May 12, but all students who want their names to appear in the UA’s May commencement program and participate in their college’s commencement ceremony will need to apply by March 30.

Howell said she wasn’t planning to attend the UA’s commencement ceremony because it’s not as personal as the college commencements, but she changed her mind once her friend who recently graduated told her it was a good experience.

“”I’ll definitely go to the Eller college convocation,”” she said. “”I’ve helped with the last two or three so I definitely won’t miss my own.””

Advisers sent reminders to students to start the degree candidacy checks last month through college and department e-mail mailing lists.

Between information from advisers, university calendars and word-of-mouth, it’s rare for a student to be uninformed about the degree candidacy process, Pardee said.

Melanie Brady, a graduation adviser, said most of the seniors she advises who are planning to graduate in May have already started the process.

Most of the students starting degree checks with her now are planning to graduate in December, but it’s still a good time for any “”stragglers”” planning to graduate in May to make their way to her office, she said.

Graduation advisers guide graduating seniors through the degree candidacy process including reminding students to make sure the name they have listed on Student Link is the same one they want to appear on their diploma. Students may want their diploma to have their full name as a formality.

If they only have their initial listed on Student Link, they will need to go to the Registrar’s Office in the Administration Building to make the change, Pardee said.

Diplomas are ordered after May 12, and are mailed to the student’s permanent address or another address if they choose on Student Link, Pardee said.

Graduating seniors need to make sure to return their library books, pay all parking fines and any other outstanding balances they may owe the UA in order to ensure their diploma is sent to them.

Students with pending transfer credits should make sure their final transcript is sent to gradation services as soon as possible after completing their coursework, Pardee said.

And one final reminder for seniors:

“”Make sure to pass all your classes,”” Pardee said.

Howell will be taking care of ordering her cap and gown and inviting her family and friends to graduation within the next few weeks.

“”I’m ready to graduate,”” Howell said. “”It’s almost over and it’s coming fast.””