Fashion this week: Jan. 17-24

Dolce & Gabbana proves that elegance and quirky patches compliment each other in their own special way. The symmetrical placement of the patches immediately makes the suit a timeless piece and the eye-popping colors enhance the style of the suit.

Though 2016 has just begun, it has already been an exciting three weeks in the fashion world. Zoolander is on Vogue, Dolce & Gabbana traveled to the Wild West, and pajamas are haute couture. Here’s 2016’s fashion highlights so far:

Derek Zoolander takes Vogue

Last March, Derek Zoolander and Hansel McDonald reprised their modeling skills at the Valentino show during Paris Fashion Week. Now, Zoolander, aka Ben Stiller, is back in the fashion world and on the cover of Vogue with “Zoolander 2” co-star Penélope Cruz. The two were satirically photographed together by Annie Leibovitz. The film doesn’t negatively make fun of the fashion industry, but lets it in on the joke. It’s a critically acclaimed movie in the fashion world by designers such as Alexander Wang and Valentino.

Dolce & Gabbana: fall 2016 menswear

Italian fashion house Dolce & Gabbana have traveled in time to what seems to be the Wild West of John Wayne’s days. It seems designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana have replaced the brand’s signature blood reds, dark grays, gold embellishments and crowns with embellishments and patches of cacti, pistols, four leaf clovers and Gabbana’s cat, Zambia. This unique approach was so intense that models were strutting down the catwalk with iPads to capture whatever the audience could not see from afar and onto a jumbo screen. Dolce & Gabbana always take things to the next level, amplifying its timeless top-of-the-line tailoring and famous embellishments; this collection is up to par and will win over fashionistas everywhere.

Above: Dolce & Gabbana proves that elegance and quirky patches compliment each other in their own special way. The symmetrical placement of the patches immediately makes the suit a timeless piece and the eye-popping colors enhance the style of the suit.

Follow Mariel Bustamante on Twitter.