Police Beat: Mar. 1

Traffic stop illuminates hot rod hot box

A male UA student was arrested for marijuana possession on Feb. 24 at 10:40 p.m.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was on patrol and pulled over a sport utility vehicle at Fourth Street and Park Avenue for driving without headlights.

The officer spoke with the female UA student driver and smelled an odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle.

The officer asked the woman to step out of the vehicle and asked her about the marijuana smell.

The woman did not know anything about the marijuana and said that it was probably in the vehicle.

The officer then spoke with the male passenger in the car. The student admitted to having marijuana and handed the officer a plastic bag containing a few grams of marijuana.

The man had smoked from a bong earlier in the car and claimed to be the sole owner of all the marijuana in the vehicle.

The male student was arrested, cited and released for possession of marijuana and was referred to the Dean of Students Office for a code of conduct violation.

Disgruntled former AEPi blackmails chapter

A former member of the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity threatened to reveal chapter secrets after being denied permission to visit the chapter house.

A UAPD officer responded to the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity house on Feb. 24 and spoke with a member of the chapter’s executive board.

Members of Alpha Epsilon Pi said that the fraternity was currently undergoing changes and “”cleaning up membership.””

Last semester, a brother’s membership was revoked for repeatedly urinating on another brother’s property.

The former brother has since left the UA and enrolled in a local college in his hometown.

Recently, the former brother contacted the president of Alpha Epsilon Pi and requested permission to return to the chapter to visit.

The former brother said that his behavior was the result of drug usage, claimed to have attended drug rehabilitation and to no longer be associated with drugs.

Alpha Epsilon Pi agreed to allow the former brother on the property to visit, but the fraternity found conversations on Twitter indicating that the he was still involved with drugs.

Because of this, the former brother was revoked of any permission to be on the chapter’s property.

The fraternity sent the former brother this information through e-mail, text message and a voice mail.

The former brother then threatened to expose the hazing practices, secrets and rituals of the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity if not allowed back to visit.

Alpha Epsilon Pi said that the hazing occured in the past, before the current executive board’s term, and was no longer a practice of the chapter.

Alpha Epsilon Pi did not want to press charges at the time but wanted the incident to be documented in case the former brother followed through with his threats.

Student harassed by strange man

A female UA undergraduate student reported a case of harassment to UAPD on Feb. 24 at 3:35 p.m.

A UAPD officer met with the student at the SALT Center where she said that a man had been following and harassing her.

The student said she met the non-UA affiliated man on the UA Mall two weeks prior and he asked for her phone number.

She said she gave the man her number because it is hard for her to “”say no to people.””

The student spoke with the man on the phone a few times, but the man made the student feel uncomfortable and she began to see him waiting outside of her classes.

When he started trying to follow and talk with the student, she contacted UAPD for information on how to make him stop contacting her.

At that time, the student said she wasn’t threatened but did not want to continue talking to the man.

She received a phone call on Feb. 20 from the man and she asked him stop contacting her.

The student then received five more phone calls, which she did not answer, on Feb. 22.

The student left class in the Integrated Learning Center on Feb. 24 and saw the man waiting outside.

The man approached the student and began speaking with her. She told the man that she had a boyfriend and didn’t want to talk to him.

“”That’s pretty disappointing,”” he said.

The student walked upstairs to ground level while the man continued following and attempting to talk to her.

The student walked to the SALT Center and contacted UAPD.

The officer contacted the man and told him to cease contact with the student. The man agreed to comply.

The student said that she would contact UAPD if the man attempted to gain contact again and might pursue an injunction against harassment if the contact did not cease.