Fall nail trends add pizzazz

Hallie Bolonkin/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

Diamon Woods, a freshman elementary education major, likes to get her nails done with decals and rhinestones. Nail decals are a big trend which are being seen all around campus.
    Hallie Bolonkin
    Hallie Bolonkin/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Diamon Woods, a freshman elementary education major, likes to get her nails done with decals and rhinestones. Nail decals are a big trend which are being seen all around campus.

Fall is officially here, and that means the slew of fall trends is going to emerge faster than you can keep track of it. Now, if you aren’t ready to fork up the cash to buy into all of the new season’s trends, don’t worry — you can still participate in fall fashion on a budget by changing up the simple aspects of your beauty regimen. According to the October issue of Marie Claire, this fall is all about plum manicured nails. However, Harper’s Bazaar boasts chocolate, red and metallic nails for fall. The options seem pretty open and by looking around the UA campus, it’s easy to spot a number of different nail colors and pattern choices. Let’s see what the ladies are doing to their nails around the UA campus:

The Classic Lady

The French tip is an easy classic and can be done at home using a mechanical pencil (without the graphic sticks) or a toothpick to apply the white tip. This is definitely the most timeless of all the choices and can be worn year-round.

The Lady in Red

Red nails are fierce and have been all over the fashion magazines and blogs for fall. This year, try maroon or other deep red tones in order to play into the dark hues of fall. You could also try mixing two different shades of red with enough contrast to see if you can get a cool blended tone.

Lady with the Flowers

These DIY nails are super cute and are a great way to bid summer adieu. You could also maintain a floral pattern on your nails throughout autumn while still staying in sync with the feeling of fall by incorporating darker earth tones or even playing around with other flora- and fauna-inspired patterns, such as a small leaf decal.

So whether you want to be a part of the fall trends this year or if you’re just in the mood for a little pick-me-up, grab some friends and head down to the local nail salon (be sure to ask about student discounts), or grab a bottle of wine and do it at home. Just make sure you don’t get too tipsy before applying your polish, or you might end up with a goopy mess on your fingertips.