Women’s Resource Center reopens

Feminist authors Jennifer Baumgardner and Amy Richards spoke at the Womens Resource Center grand re-opening event in the Gallagher Theater last night.
    Feminist authors Jennifer Baumgardner and Amy Richards spoke at the Women’s Resource Center grand re-opening event in the Gallagher Theater last night.

The Women’s Resource Center celebrated its reopening last night in Gallagher Theater with two well-known feminist speakers and an open discussion on the current state of feminism.

Authors and activists Jennifer Baumgardner and Amy Richards, co-authors of “”Manifesta: Young Women, Feminism and the Future”” and “”Grassroots: A Field Guide for Feminist Activism,”” spoke about the current state of feminism.

The Women’s Resource Center has not been active and has struggled with funding, and the former co-directors quit last semester. But the new co-directors, women’s studies graduate students Sarah Demers and Carly Thomsen, have taken up the role and are looking for change.

“”It was just not functioning,”” Demers said. “”There weren’t any programs and no one knew it was there.””

“”Bringing in these authors is the first step to a new organization, and I’m really optimistic,”” said Joy Wilcox, communications directors for the WRC.

Funding for the WRC this year was $3,000, and the directors are looking to raise more money and work on the budget.

“”We want to hold more free lecture events and show documentaries in the fall, and we are networking with different groups to make these events happen,”” Demers said.

Baumgardner and Richards both said they see the potential in the renewing of the WRC and are glad to see the energy and motivation displayed by the new directors.

“”They have already had an impact by mobilizing conversation, and it will continue to reverberate even if they get Hillary Clinton to speak,”” Baumgardner said.

“”There are enough people that can benefit from (the WRC), and there are enough comments about the issues from students that they can go even deeper,”” Richards said.

After raising more money, the WRC plans to hire a fully paid staff, director and executive director, Wilcox said.

“”The Women’s Resource Center is vital for women on campus, and it’s a disservice to women to go without it,”” Wilcox said.

Demers said she is hoping to bring in more speakers to start a new speakers series called “”Women on Wednesday.””

The new co-directors are also looking to create a way to connect feminist groups on campus with other women’s groups in the community.

“”The Women’s Resource Center will be a central hub of information,”” Demers said. “”Groups may have similar interests and may not know about it, but we hope to create a way to collaborate with groups on campus and within the community.””