Arizona loses to Washington by 5 points, after leading throughout the first half

Marison Bilagody

The Arizona running back, Jalen John (21), runs the ball into the University of Washington defense at Arizona Stadium on Oct. 22. The Wildcats lead the Washington Huskies 13-0 by halftime.  

The Washington Huskies defeated Arizona football by a score of 21-16 in Tucson, Arizona on Friday, Oct. 22, 2021. 

Once again, the Wildcats defense breaks down in the second half after a strong first half. In the first half, the Wildcats shut out the Huskies, not even letting them into the red zone. The second half was a different story. The Huskies passing game came to life in the second half with two 30+ yard completions to the red zone both leading to touchdowns as well as another 16-yard touchdown pass to Terrell Bynum giving Dylan Morris his second touchdown pass of the game. 

The Wildcats offensive line looked good in the first half but went back to their old ways in the second giving Will Plummer no time to throw causing two sacks and an interception. 

The Wildcats were up 13-0 going into halftime but were outscored 21-3 in the second. Just like multiple other games this season, the Wildcats were in it in the first half but broke down in the second half. A combination of defensive struggles and offensive line issues led to a Wildcats loss.

A bright spot in the Wildcats play was the rush defense. The Wildcats only allowed the Huskies to rush for 88 yards while sacking the quarterback four times. 

Another positive we can take from the Wildcats loss is the running game. The Wildcats rushed for 218 yards in 40 attempts. Freshman running back Stevie Rocker Jr. rushed for 87 yards on only eight attempts while Jalen John rushed for 65 yards on 19 attempts. Per usual, wide receiver Stanley Berryhill III contributed with big plays including a 34-yard run in the first that led to a Wildcats score. 

Plummer struggled with letting plays develop most of the game, only being able to complete short passes. He also threw his seventh interception of the season. He threw for only 68 yards going 13-18 in his pass attempts.

The Huskies give the Wildcats their 19th straight loss with a second-half comeback to win the game by a final score of 21-16.

Follow Cole Johnson on Twitter