Various odd jobs may be money saving solution for some students

Simon Brubaker
    Amy Cohen has her application to be a teacher in with 40 school districts. She currently pays her bills by babysitting as she does here on July 29, 2010, in Chicago, Illinois. (Simon Brubaker/Chicago Tribune/MCT)

College students are unanimously broke. If you are seeing your bank account steadily disappearing right along with the food in your pantry, you may want to consider some of these odd jobs. Though they’re off the beaten path, these jobs won’t commit you to a part time position and are sure to give you the means to re-stock your cabinets. Some UA students have taken the initiative to find odd jobs in supplying their peers, resulting in a satisfying income.

What is your area of academic strength? Take some time to tutor your friends in that area, or apply as a tutor at the Think Tank. Shane Powers, a junior finance major, says that he has been able to make a fair amount of money by tutoring his friends in math, and stated that “sharing what you know is more fun when you’re getting paid for it.”

If you are good with kids, then this job has your name written all over it. Babysitting jobs did not go out the window after high school. Get your name out there with fliers and Craigslist ads advertising yourself as a ‘nanny.’ The schedule is flexible with good pay, and while the kids are sleeping you might as well get your homework done. What’s better than getting paid to do your homework?

Kim Gould, a sophomore psychology major, says that she has been able to make money by selling her class notes. If you are one who takes tedious records in lectures, this odd job is for you. Take all of your class notes, transcribe them and organize them into a study guide. Those who have not been as attentive as you will be willing to pay some big bucks to get their hands on that information pre-exam.

Claire Davis, a sophomore business major, says that she doesn’t really want to interact with her peers as a source of income. Instead, she prefers to collect ink cartridges and returns them to a local Staples or OfficeMax where she is rewarded with free printer paper. Davis said, “I sell the printer paper to whoever needs it, and I get 100 percent profit.” Making money by recycling doesn’t sound half bad.

Are you tired of selling back your books at the end of the semester for a fraction of what you originally paid? Chances are someone you know needs the same book, and is not looking to pay the overpriced bookstore fee. Advertise your discounted books online through Twitter or Facebook — you will be more satisfied with the sellback price to your friends than the booths on the mall.

Follow us on Twitter @wildcatarts and follow Sophia @50ph1a_23n0