Gronkowski to test for mononucleosis

The Arizona football team has yet to play a game this season, but it may have already suffered a detrimental loss.

After Arizona’s practice Saturday, head coach Mike Stoops announced tight end Rob Gronkowski has come down with a case of strep throat. As if that wasn’t enough cause for concern, the tight end will also undergo tests for mononucleosis, and if found positive could miss up to a month of the season.

When practice concluded Saturday at Arizona Stadium, the Wildcats held their annual “”Meet the Team”” function and Gronkowski did not participate in that, either.

“”Robby has strep throat and we are checking him for mono so we will know more about his status as the week goes on and what kind of timetable we are looking at,”” Stoops said.

As a freshman last season, Gronkowski established himself as a go-to receiver in the Wildcat offense, hauling in 28 passes for over 500 yards and six touchdown receptions.

Gronkowski was expected to be an even bigger piece of the offense this season, so much so that Arizona offensive coordinator Sonny Dykes said he could possibly see the tight end catching 100 receptions during the year.

Nevertheless, Stoops is concerned with Gronkowski’s state.

“”We are a little unsure about right now so hopefully we will get him back as soon as possible,”” Stoops said.

If Gronkowski isn’t able to return to the field before Arizona’s opener Saturday against Idaho, sophomore tight end A.J. Simmons will be the likely replacement. Simmons caught only one pass for three yards last season, but it was a touchdown in Arizona’s loss to Stanford.