ASUA passes gun resolution

The ASUA Senate passed a resolution at its meeting on Wednesday night against four separate bills in the Arizona Legislature that would allow students and faculty to carry concealed weapons on campus and inhibit the university’s ability to prevent carry on campus.

“”We’re not going to have people running around shooting people,”” said Robert Rosinski, an Associated Students of the University of Arizona senatorial candidate, student veteran and civil engineering sophomore at the UA.

As the president and founder of an unofficial campus group, Students for the Second Amendment, he said he felt strongly about having the discussion about guns on campus, and that students would feel more comfortable around guns if they had more experience with the weapons.

“”People are more comfortable having the opportunity to decide their own fate,”” Rosinski said. He also cited concealed carry laws throughout the country, specifically in Utah, where universities allow concealed carry.

“”If you want some research, look past Speedway,”” Rosinski said.

Sen. Taylor Bilby, along with many others, gathered student reaction through SafeRide ride-alongs last week and felt that this view might not be shared amongst all students.

“”The university is a different place than the other side of Speedway, and I don’t see any place for handguns at the UA,”” said Sen. Dominick San Angelo.

San Angelo said the “”Old West”” mentality, with people brandishing arms, promotes a negative climate on campus. He said it was less a distraction issue and more of a safety issue on campus.

“”I think at this point it is up to us to take a stance as to what we think is in the best interest of students,”” San Angelo said.

If the bills in the Legislature were passed, Arizona would be the second state in the country to allow concealed carry on all campuses, the other being Utah. Eight states have banned weapons on college campuses.

“”There is hesitancy on my part because I do realize the kinds of issues that UAPD (University of Arizona Police Department) has to deal with, and it does make their job harder,”” said Sen. Jeff Adams.  

Adams was the only senator to vote against the resolution.

“”It’s not the students job or the faculty’s job to worry about self-preservation,”” said Sen. Scott Rising, who led the charge to pen the resolution.