Datebook

Campus events

• Music lecture. “”James Brown and the Evolution of F.U.N.K.”” will be presented by Eno Washington as part of the Africana Studies Lecture Series. Noon. Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering building, Room S338
  • Ultimate Sparring Club. Today is the first meeting for anyone interested in joining the Ultimate Sparring Club. Those interesting in fighting, judging or refereeing are all encouraged to come. 5 p.m. Student Recreation Center, PACR Room
  • Career Services’ 2006 expanded kickoff. Get career ready – have your resume critiqued, sign up for fall campus interviewing, learn about Career Services’ resources, discover how to network with employers and get career-friendly dress tips. 11 a.m. Student Union Memorial Center, Room 411
  • Free glaucoma screening. The University Physicians Healthcare Eye Care Center is offering free glaucoma screenings. Glaucoma is the leading cause of preventable blindness in the U.S. and can be symptomless, but early detection can preserve sight. Screenings include glaucoma risk factors evaluation, eye-pressure and blood-pressure measurements, visual acuity exam and peripheral vision check. Call 694-1460 to make an appointment. UPH Hospital at Kino Campus, 2800 E. Ajo Way
  • Consciousness discussion forum. Philosophy professor Terry Horgan will discuss “”What is Consciousness That We Know It So Well?”” 6:30 p.m. SUMC, Santa Cruz Room
  • Voter registration barbecue. The Associated Students of the University of Arizona and Arizona Students’ Association voter registration campaign kickoff will include a barbecue, an ASUA/ASA political candidate showcase and an opportunity to get ready for the November elections by registering to vote. 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. UA Mall
  • Entertainment

• Faculty concert. The Faculty Artist Series presents “”Wind and Silk,”” a concert featuring harpist Carrol McLaughlin and flutist Brian Luce. This concert features work by J.S. Bach, Gabriel Pierne, Bernard Andres and a work by McLaughlin. Special guest faculty artist Hong Mei Xiao will join the duo on the viola for a performance of Debussy’s “”Sonata for Flute, Viola and Harp.”” 7:30 p.m. School of Music building, Crowder Hall
  • Music on the Mall. Rock out while you eat lunch as a KAMP Student Radio DJ provides free music. Noon to 1 p.m. UA Mall
  • Poker tournament. Bring your poker face to every Wednesday’s poker tournament. 6 p.m. $5. SUMC, Games Room