Police Beat: Oct. 30

It’s not the flu making you sick …

University of Arizona Police Department officers were in the area of Ft. Lowell Road and Mountain Avenue on Oct. 23 at 12:45 a.m. when they observed a woman hunched over a pole. Officers made contact with the woman, who told them that she had the flu.

According to police, the woman’s eyes were bloodshot, she could not stand without assistance and officers noticed the strong odor of intoxicants coming from her mouth as she spoke. Police cited the woman on charges of minor in possession. She was released to a friend who transported her home. The incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.

What did they take?

UAPD officers were dispatched to the Facilities Management building, 1200 N. Mountain Ave., on Oct. 23 at 7 a.m. in reference to a broken window. Upon arrival, officers met with a Facilities Management employee who told police that her office window had been broken.

According to police, the office was covered with shattered glass, consistent with an object breaking the window from the outside. Police found no footprints and no signs of entry into the building. The employee told police that no items were missing from the office. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Rock thrown through vehicle window

UAPD officers were dispatched to a university parking lot on Oct. 23 in reference to a report of damage to a vehicle. Upon arrival, officers met with the owner of a Dodge Caliber who told police that between the evening hours of Oct. 22 and 7:10 a.m. on Oct. 23, unknown person or persons threw a rock through her window. She also reported that nothing of value was missing from the vehicle. A rock was discovered inside of the vehicle and is the likely cause of the broken window. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Coin collector breaks into vehicle

UAPD officers were dispatched to a university parking lot on Oct. 23 at 9:56 a.m. in reference to a vehicle break-in. Upon arrival, officers met with the owner of an Isuzu who told them that sometime between 1:30 p.m. on Oct. 22 and 9:45 a.m. on Oct. 23, an unknown person broke the driver window and entered the vehicle.

According to the owner, the only items missing were approximately 75 pennies, stored in an ashtray under the radio. The owner also told police that whoever broke into the car left a $100 iPod charger and took the loose change instead. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Trio takes tokes near Harvill building

UAPD officers were on campus when they observed three men sitting on a stairwell at the Harvill building on Oct. 23 at 11:07 p.m. As officers approached, they noticed the smell of burnt marijuana coming from the area.

As the officers tried to make contact with the three men, all tried to leave the area. Police were able to detain the men for questioning. One man admitted that he came to the area to smoke marijuana and told police that he brought a pipe, which he gave to police. He was cited on charges of possession of paraphernalia.

Another man admitted to bringing $20 worth of marijuana to the area and told police that he bought it from an unknown man who solicited him in the Student Union Memorial Center. He was cited on charges of possession of marijuana.

The last man told police, “”We all took two hits each.”” He was warned against possession of marijuana. All three men were released on scene and the incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Improper turn leads to multiple citations

UAPD officers were on Cherry Avenue on Oct. 25 at 12:10 a.m. when they observed a Honda make an improper right turn onto Sixth Street. Officers initiated a traffic stop at Sixth Street and Wilson Avenue.

Officers contacted the driver, who identified himself with an Arizona driver’s license. A records check revealed that the man’s license was suspended due to a court action. The man claimed to not know why his license was suspended and added that he had paid all of his traffic tickets and was scheduled for court on Oct. 26.

The man was cited on charges of driving on a suspended license and making an improper right turn. His vehicle was towed for a mandatory 30-day impound and he was released on scene.

Late night runner arouses police suspicion

UAPD officers were on routine patrol on Martin Avenue on Oct. 25 at 2 a.m. when they observed a woman running westbound on First Street.

Officers approached the woman and made contact with her. She verbally identified herself and told police that she had no form of identification on her. She also stated that she had been drinking at the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house and was running home to the Gamma Phi Beta sorority house.

According to police, the woman had bloodshot eyes, trouble keeping her balance and smelled of intoxicants. She also began to cry during questioning and repeatedly told police, “”I just want to go home.””

A records check revealed the woman had been issued a citation for minor in possession on a previous occasion. Officers cited her on charges of minor in possession and released her on scene. The incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.