Pac-12 Power Rankings: The week the South division was won

North

1. No. 3 Oregon (10-1, 7-1 Pac-12 Conference)

Since the Ducks are really just killing time until the Pac-12 Championship game, let’s review how they fared against their potential opponents. Oregon lost 31-24 to Arizona at home, beat UCLA 42-30 on the road and hasn’t played ASU this year.

Last week: First, W vs. Colorado 44-10

This week: Saturday at Oregon State (5-6, 2-6)

2. Stanford (6-5, 4-4)

The Cardinal jumps back over Washington after getting a better win than the Huskies, beating California on the road. It also became the second North team to become bowl eligible, so there’s that.

Last week: Third, W at California 38-17

This week: Friday at No. 9 UCLA (9-2, 6-2)

3. Washington (7-5, 3-5)

Saturday night, the Huskies became the third team from the North to become bowl eligible. Since they play 13 games this year, they need to have a winning record; what a novel concept. With Wazzu in the Apple Cup this week, Washington has a chance to end the regular season winning two straight after losing five of seven.

Last week: Second, W vs. Oregon State 37-13

This week: Saturday at Washington State (3-8, 2-6)

4. California (5-6, 3-6)

Cal is the only other Pac-12 North team with a realistic chance to go bowling. The Golden Bears host BYU, whose random schedule makes it hard to project a winner. Will the Cougars that beat Texas show up or will it be the ones that lost four games in a row to mid-majors?

Last week: Fourth, L vs. Stanford 38-17

This week: Saturday vs. BYU (7-4)

5. Oregon State (5-6, 2-6)

With a game left and needing one more win to get to bowl eligibility, the Beavers have a chance, but not a good one since it’s the Civil War. To beat Oregon, OSU probably needs both Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant on their side. Perhaps even William Tecumseh Sherman, too.

Last week: Fifth, L at Washington 37-13

This week: Saturday vs. No. 3 Oregon (10-1, 7-1)

6. Washington State (3-8, 2-6)

After being given up for dead a couple of weeks ago, the Cougars beat Oregon State and even led ASU at the half. There’s hope in Pullman, Wash., and since U-Dub is pretty average, they could steal the Apple Cup.

Last week: Sixth, L at ASU 52-31

This week: Saturday vs. Washington (7-5, 3-5)

South

1. No. 9 UCLA (9-2, 6-2)

The South is now a three-team race after the Utes got massacred and the UCLA broke the Trojans. The Bruins have the upperhand as they get to play a team from the North and only need to win to get in.

Last week: First, W vs. USC 38-20

This week: Friday vs. Stanford (6-5, 4-4)

2. No. 12 Arizona (9-2, 6-2)

The Wildcats leap over ASU because they beat Utah by 32, the UA’s biggest ever margin of victory over an AP Top 25 on the road. Meanwhile, the old enemy only beat Utah by one in overtime in Tempe.

Last week: Fourth, W at Utah 42-10

This week: Friday vs. No. 13 ASU (9-2, 6-2)

3. No. 13 ASU (9-2, 6-2)

The Sun Devils survived an early scare from Washington State to set up the biggest Territorial Cup game in years. The winner could still go to the College Football Playoff; the loser could drop down to the Foster Farms Bowl, whatever that is.

Last week: Third, W vs. Washington State 52-31

This week: Friday at No. 12 Arizona (9-2, 6-2)

4. USC (7-4, 6-3)

Even the return of Josh Shaw, who sprained both his ankles running from the cops — but told the country he did so saving his nephew —couldn’t prevent the Trojans from losing the Crosstown Rivalry game. Of course, Shaw probably would say USC won.

Last week: Second, L at UCLA 38-20

This week: Saturday vs. Notre Dame (7-4)

5. Utah (7-4, 4-4)

Arizona blew out the Utes, but fifth place in the nation’s best division isn’t too shabby. There, I said it; now pass this link around, SEC fans. I dare you.

Last week: fifth, L vs. Arizona 42-10

This week: Saturday at Colorado (2-9, 0-8)

6. Colorado (2-9, 0-8)

Sadly, the Buffaloes’ season will come to an end this week, and I won’t get to make fun of them any more. But the good news is the basketball power rankings are starting up and I’ll have even more time to think of nasty things to say next semester.

Last week: Sixth, L at Oregon 44-10

This week: Saturday vs. Utah (7-4, 4-4)
_______________

Follow James Kelley on Twitter.