Selling out for a cause: The Take Action Tour

Four bands. One night. Three charities. Their mission: to save lives.

We the Kings, Mayday Parade, A Rocket to the Moon and There for Tomorrow will perform at The Rock Friday night for the Sub City Take Action Tour.

The Take Action Tour is a nationwide effort that raises money and awareness for youth involvement in charitable causes. This is the tour’s ninth year.

The tour is working with the charities Sub City, DoSomething.org and Driving For Donors — the tour’s spotlighted charity — to save lives.

Fourteen-year-old Patrick Pedraja created Driving For Donors after he was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia when he was only 10 years old. In 2007, he drove around the country with his family on a mission to sign people up for the National Marrow Registry so those in need could easily find a match for a bone marrow transplant.

Since the start of the nonprofit, there have been more than 22,000 donors associated with the registry and more than 24 lives have been saved due to the registry’s matches.

Out of the cost for each ticket, 10 percent is donated to Driving For Donors. Each person who attends the concert becomes a part of the cause, but the attendees aren’t the only ones doing their part.

The tour has a series of events that allow the bands to participate in the communities they travel through to take action. The participating bands are also visiting children’s hospitals to meet patients and to give intimate acoustic performances.

“”I know I’ve been saying this since the start of the tour, but if we can save one life, this whole tour will be more than worth it,”” said Travis Clark, frontman of We the Kings.

We The Kings and Mayday Parade will make a special signing appearance at the Park Place Mall’s Hot Topic at 4 p.m. Friday. The event is open to HT+1 members only after purchasing a CD or shirt from either band, which gets members a wristband that guarantees a meeting with the bands.

HOW YOU CAN HELP

1) Buy a ticket and go to the show. How often can you say you helped save lives at a rock concert?

2) Buy the Take Action Volume 9 Charity Compilation at takeactiontour.com. It costs $6 or $12 if you also want a shirt.

3) Sign up for the National Marrow Registry at the concert. It’s free and all you have to do is fill out some paperwork and swab your cheek. For more info, visit BeTheMatch.org.

4) Text “”Action”” to 85944 to donate $5.