Police Beat: Aug. 27

Prescription expires over state lines

A University of Arizona Police Department officer stopped a car for speeding and for making an improper turn onto a street near the UA.

The officer approached the vehicle from the passenger’s side. Upon seeing an open beer bottle near the passenger’s feet, the officer asked who it belonged to. A male sitting in the backseat on the passenger’s side stated, “”It’s mine, I was drinking it, I just wanted to be honest with you.”” The man identified himself with his driver’s license, and the officer noted he was not of legal drinking age.

The officer conducted a vehicle search for further contraband. In the center console he found a small glass container holding an unspecified amount of marijuana.

The driver explained he had purchased the marijuana in his home state, where he had a prescription for it. He stated he was aware that his prescription was not valid in Arizona. The man was cited and released at the scene. The officer then placed the marijuana in UAPD evidence.

Unlocked doors in modern languages

Two UAPD officers were unlocking the doors of the Modern Languages building at approximately 6:48 a.m. on Aug. 24, when they noticed three south-facing doors located in the ground-level breezeway of the main building and the handicap door on the north side of the main building were unsecured. Police have not yet determined why the doors were unlocked.

Five-finger thirst

A UAPD officer detained a student for shoplifting a water bottle from the UofA Bookstore on Aug. 24.

Bookstore security staff caught the student on a surveillance camera as he took the water bottle. The individual was detained and taken to the first-level conference room without incident. The student was asked what he was doing in the bookstore that day, to which he replied that he went to the bookstore to purchase two folders for his classes.

The student further explained he had been thirsty and felt dehydrated, so he thought he needed a larger water bottle than the plastic one he had. He also said he did not have enough money to buy the water bottle, and so made the decision to put it in his backpack and walk out of the bookstore without paying for it.

The student was placed under arrest on charges of shoplifting and issued a criminal citation.