Get off campus and out in the city with these April events

April is one of the busiest months of the school year. Finals, projects, papers, graduation or summer plans can be overwhelming, and prevent us from enjoying the beautiful weather. But go ahead and give yourself a break. The following events will give you an escape from campus life, and are worth it:

Tucson Padres Minor League baseball

The Tucson Padres’ season runs from April 5 to Aug. 26. With mostly evening games, it is the perfect way to take a night off from studying with friends.

Besides being America’s favorite pastime, the Tucson Padres’ games also have different promotional events to attract guests. Catch a Thursday game for Budweiser Thirsty Thursday, which features 16-ounce beers for $1.50.

Stop in for postgame fireworks, $1 hot dogs on Wednesdays and Two-for-Tuesday, which features two tickets for the price of one. Support the Triple-A affiliate of the San Diego Padres while spending time with friends at Kino Sports Complex.

Afri-Can

On April 13, The Forgotten Children of Senegal will host an event at Armory Park Ballroom. From 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., guests are invited to celebrate West African culture while also raising money for the street children of Senegal. There will be music, food and dancing.

Performers include “Sticks and Fingers,” a steel drum percussion group that plays energetic Afro-Caribbean sound. Uzo and Maxame dancers will accompany the musical performances with an evening of boogieing. Money raised through donations and a silent auction will provide clothing, safety and homes for the Forgotten Children of Senegal. The event is $10 per person at the door.

The Tucson Taco Festival

What could possibly be better than $2 tacos, homemade salsa and guacamole, more than 100 types of tequila and live lucha libre wrestling? On April 28, The Arizona Taco Festival in Scottsdale is moving the party to Tucson in the first ever Tucson Taco Festival at Rillito Downs.

Guests are invited to try chicken, pork, beef and seafood tacos prepared by some of the best amateur and professional taco makers in Tucson. The event costs $10 per person and benefits the Anne Rita Monahan Foundation, an organization that raises money to cure ovarian cancer. The event also features a hot chile pepper eating contest, margarita competition, lucha libre wrestling, a VIP tent and more.

Since everyone has to eat, grab some friends and take your lunch break at the festival.