“Lent is a ‘journey,’ not just giving up junk food”

Physiological sciences graduate Adonna Rometo receives the ashes from pharmacy junior Marites Calalang at the Catholic Newman Center yesterday.

Most students can’t go one day without caffeine. But how about 40 days?

Some Christian denominations observed Ash Wednesday yesterday, marking the first day of Lent. Roman Catholics and Anglicans are two denominations that observe Lent, which lasts until Easter.

In addition to fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, observers are asked to give something up during the Lenten season.

Michael Huston, a political science and philosophy junior, attended the Ash Wednesday noon service held at the St. Thomas More Catholic Newman Center at the UA. He said he always tries to participate in Lent in some form or another.

“”This year I am giving up pizza, which I eat about four times a week,”” Huston said. “”I am also giving up caffeine, which I drink every day.””

But Huston said Lent is not just about giving up something.

“”It’s a call to be charitable,”” Huston said. “” I am going to try and be better about donating my time and money. I plan to attend mass more often as well.””

Father Bart Hutcherson, director of the Catholic Newman Center, encouraged attendees of the Ash Wednesday service to attend mass more frequently during Lent.

“”We are called by our God to reflect upon our relationship with Him and with each other,”” Hutcherson said.

Adonna Rometo, a fourth-year graduate student in physiological sciences, said she gives up the same thing each year.

“”I give up junk food every year, but by the end of it, I am eating chocolate,”” Rometo said.

But this year she plans to be more serious about observing Lent. Her goal is to become closer to God.

“”I’m going to do this through meditation and prayer, a daily devotion,”” she said.

“”I’m going to make it more of an intention. It’s a journey for me. By the time Easter comes, I want to be closer to God.””

Aside from attending mass more often by adding a Friday service, Rometo said she wants to help people.

“”I want to do random acts of kindness for people, without them knowing it was me making a difference,”” Rometo said.