Police Beat

Police gain easy access

A man was cited and released for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia on Jan. 27. at 10:31 p.m.

Police responded to the Coronado Residence Hall in reference to the smell of marijuana. When they arrived they made contact with a resident assistant, who said that while doing rounds he smelt marijuana coming from one of the rooms.

As the RA escorted the officer to the room, police reported that the smell of marijuana was strong in the hallway. When the officer knocked on the door where the smell was coming from, a man inside yelled, “”Come on in.”” The officer knocked a second time and the resident said, “”I said come on in.”” Inside the room, the smell of marijuana was very strong.

When the officer walked in the room, a man jumped off the bed to greet him. The man identified himself as the resident of the room.

Police informed the man that they were there to investigate the smell of marijuana coming from his room.

The man said, “”Officer, I want to be perfectly honest with you: yes, I was smoking marijuana. I was using that vaporizer to inhale it, and here is a cup with what was left of the weed.””

The officer confiscated the vaporizer, plastic tube and red plastic cup with a green leafy substance inside it. The man was cited and released for unlawful possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was also referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Definitely not the ‘heroin’ of this story

A man was arrested for paraphernalia, trespassing and two outstanding warrants on Jan. 27 at 9:27 p.m.

An officer was dispatched to a bike rack near the Main Library in reference to a suspicious person wearing a black hoodie, carrying a Target bag, and seen shaking bikes. While en route, the officer was notified that the person had begun to move and was now headed towards Old Main.

The officer made contact with the man, who verbally identified himself. Dispatch notified the officer that the man had two outstanding warrants for his arrest from the University of Arizona Police Department and an exclusionary order, prohibiting him from being on any UA owned, rented or controlled property. Dispatch also told the officer that the man was a self-admitted heroin user.

The officer searched the man and found nothing. When he searched the man’s Target bag, the officer found: one cotton ball, a bottle cap with heroin residue, one plastic band, one medical tube and four syringes.

The man told the officer he did not want to answer any questions. He was placed in the back of the cop car to be transported to the Pima County Jail.

When they arrived at the jail, the officer notified the man that if he brought any weapons, drugs or contraband into the jail it would be considered a felony. The man then told the officer that he believed he “”may have some heroin”” in his wallet. The officer asked specifically where the heroin was. The man said “”in the front pocket.”” The officer opened the front pocket and saw a torn piece of paper with a small amount of heroin. The heroin was confiscated as evidence.

The man was booked in the Pima County Jail for possession of heroin and paraphernalia, criminal trespassing and his two outstanding warrants.

Laptop volume leads to girl-on-girl violence

Police were called to restore the peace at the Sky View Residence Hall on Jan. 27 at 3:41 p.m.

Police responded to the dorm after a woman said she was assaulted by her roommate. The woman said that she and her roommate had not gotten along in the past, but lately it had been getting worse. The woman told officers that she was in her room doing homework, when her roommate came home and turned on the music on her laptop. The woman said that the music was distracting her so she went into her roommate’s bedroom and asked her to turn the volume down. Instead, her roommate turned the music up and then stood up, walked to the door and shut it in the woman’s face.

The woman said a few minutes later she opened her roommate’s bedroom door in order to apologize to her, but the roommate then got up, shoved the woman in the chest with one arm and closed the door again.

Police then talked to the roommate who said that when the woman came to apologize she was standing in the doorway, blocking it completely in order to keep the roommate from closing the door. The roommate said she told the woman to move repeatedly, but she did not move, so she put her hand on the woman’s chest and moved her out of the way so she could close the door.

The woman did not need medical attention for her injury. The roommate was already in the process of being moved to a different dorm before the incident occurred. She told officers she would stay with her mother for the evening and the woman told officers that she would stay with her boyfriend. There were no witnesses and insufficient evidence to prove that an assault took place, so no charges were filed.