Police Beat: August 28

High as the sky

A non UA-affiliated man was arrested on Aug. 22 at approximately 4:40 p.m., after an officer from the University of Arizona Police Department spotted him spinning in circles and looking at the sky in the Seventh Street and Warren Avenue intersection.

When confronted by the officer, the man identified himself and began scratching his body and shaking. He informed the officer he was nervous because he thought he had warrants, though a records check showed he had none. He also had a small bag in his hands, which he tried to hide behind his back when the officer spoke with him. The officer asked the man if he was using any drugs, and the man told him he had used heroin in the last few hours and was still high.

The officer had the man sit down on a curb, and the man hid the bag under his legs. The officer asked the man if the bag was a drug kit, and the man told the officer that it was and that it contained drugs. After giving the officer consent to search it, the officer found multiple syringes, empty vials and a heating dish as well as several other items associated with heroin use.

The man was placed under arrest for possession of drug paraphernalia, cited and released. His bag was placed into evidence and sent to a lab for testing.

Still caught after the act

Three UA students were referred to the Dean of Students for code of conduct violations on Aug. 22, after a UAPD officer smelled marijuana coming from a dorm room while doing rounds with a resident assistant at approximately 10:30 p.m. As the officer approached the room, the door opened and a student tried to leave.

The officer informed him that he smelled what he believed to be marijuana, and asked the student to step back inside.

In the room were three more students and the officer asked who lived in the room. A girl said she did, but that her roommate was out with friends. The officer then asked if there was any marijuana in the room, and all four students denied that there was. The officer requested identification from the students and observed signs and symptoms of marijuana use on three of them.

One student said they had smoked marijuana outside of the residence hall, but that it was all gone. The officer explained to the students the dangers of drug and alcohol use, the laws in Arizona and rules regarding drugs and alcohol in residence halls on campus. He then sent code of conduct violations to the Dean of Students for the students who exhibited signs of drug use.

-follow Alison @AlisonRaeDorf