“Fabens man shot, killed during SWAT standoff”

A 46-year-old Fabens man was killed during a standoff this morning with members of the El Paso County Sheriff’s SWAT team.

Sheriff’s deputies said at 1 a.m. today, they were called to a home in the 15000 block of Alameda in Fabens after receiving a report of a possibly armed and intoxicated man inside. Deputies said a witness reported the man had been threatening people during a gathering at the home.

Deputies and Border Patrol agents who were nearby responded to the call and were told by witnesses that the man had a shotgun and had been “”behaving violently and was highly intoxicated,”” deputies said.

Deputies and agents soon heard gunshots from inside the home and called for the SWAT team. As SWAT members and crisis negotiators arrived, the man emerged from the home holding a shotgun, then pointed it at deputies and agents, deputies said.

Shots were exchanged and the man was struck and killed.

Deputies said the shooting is being investigated by the El Paso County Sheriff’s Crimes Against Persons unit and the sheriff’s Internal Affairs Division.

Sheriff’s officials declined to identify the SWAT team members who responded to the scene, but said they’ve been placed on administrative leave with pay pending the outcome of the investigation.

The man’s identity has yet to be released. An autopsy has been scheduled for sometime this week.