Just relax, Wildcats: Antigone Books offers the optimal relaxation zone

Victoria Pereira

Rebecca Reiter, a sophomore studying special education and rehabilitation, looks for the perfect book to de-stress with at Antigone Books on Fourth Avenue on Wednesday, Sept. 16. Antigone Books has an open atmosphere featuring a sitting area and book clubs.

Antigone Books near the UA works to create a peaceful and inspiring environment within its shop for the stressed UA student. 

As an independent, 100 percent solar-powered bookstore, Antigone Books enhances Tucson’s Fourth Avenue shopping district with its own unique personality. The store’s individual ambiance creates a community within the business, and provides a spot for its visitors to feel educated, while also enjoying the timeless tradition of reading.

The brightly colored store is filled with books ranging from children’s adventure stories to historical and dramatic works. In addition to books, the shop also offers a collection of Tucson memorabilia and other decorative items for purchase. 

Reading alone can help students separate their minds from the pressures of college, but Antigone Books takes this idea to the next level. The store provides several sitting areas for students and other visitors to come in, take a seat and enjoy reading, interacting and relaxing.

“There’s no better place to relax than a bookstore,” said Rachael Pace, an Antigone Books employee. “We have a great sitting area and coffee spot to pick up a book and read something that’s not school-related.”

Pace, who has worked at Antigone Books for over a year, watches students come in and out of the shop daily. She and other employees feel that one of the most important aspects of their job is creating an enjoyable, happy and peaceful setting for their consumers. 

Employees enjoy helping students unearth a new book—that isn’t assigned for class—and watching them dive into it, soaking up the inspiration that can only be found from reading a good book. 

Laura Miller, an undeclared freshman, finds Antigone Books to be the perfect place to spend her free time. 

“I just moved here, so I didn’t really know where to go to shop for books,” Miller said. “When I walked into Antigone Books, I felt excited by all the options, and I knew I’d be back here all the time.” 

Miller said she is also interested in Antigone Books’ options for book groups, which include various genres for book-lovers’ different interests.  

Antigone Books creates a community through these books clubs, as well as through a newsletter and a calendar that contain upcoming events for visitors to gather together for special events like author talks and meet-and-greets. 

Through efforts that promote diversity and community, Antigone Books has become a known favorite among students. Its reading choices inspire students to unearth new ideas for their future and current careers, as well as to provide a welcome relief to their overwhelmed minds. 

Even if it’s only for a few minutes, taking the time to take a break is vital, and Antigone Books aims to support that mission. 

“Just pick up a nice fiction book and unwind,” Pace said. 

Follow Kristine Bruun-Andersen on Twitter.