Vodka aids booty tunes

Every Thursday, Club Congress  loads in bottles of the yummiest plastic vodka you could imagine. Well, for dollar vodka wells, you can’t really complain, right?

Typically, Congress also has live entertainment, and this past Thursday was no exception.

Around 11 p.m. New Orleans-born hip-hop artist Big Freedia Da Queen Diva took the stage. Complete with the tag line “”Da Diva Returns”” and a middle-aged woman as a booty-shaking sidekick, Freedia’s mission is to spread what he calls “”bounce music.””

I hadn’t ever heard of bounce music and, believe me, Freedia gave me a very strange introduction to this type of music.

Lesson one: For lyrics, you just string three or four adjectives together, followed by “”ass,”” and repeat while your accomplice jiggles her derrière onstage.

Lesson two: Confuse your audience by maximizing distractions. The crowd seemed taken aback by his performance because it was so terrible and I, for one, couldn’t focus on anything but his cheap purple highlights and the fact that his dancer looked a lot like my second grade teacher.

Lesson three: Reach out to your fans after the show. After last call, I headed to The Grill to get something to munch on and, lo and behold, Freedia and his dancer were nearly passed out in a booth. I tried to say hi and got a slur in return. Apparently booty shaking and talking about booties is really tiring.

Moral of the story: Entertainment is entertaining even when it’s embarrassingly awful … especially when paired with dollar vodkas.