BLOG: It’s never too early to study

Christina Harris

James Fusaro, an undeclared freshman, studies from a textbook in the Yuma Residence Hall study room on Jan. 26. Fusaro is following the golden rule of schoolwork: study early and often.

It’s already been three weeks since the start of the semester, and the first round of tests is just around the corner. Here are some tips to help you ace your exams.

Bailey Tibbenc, a junior studying molecular and cellular biology, has picked up a few study tips, being a math and writing tutor at the Think Tank for the past five semesters.

“The best thing is to start early,” Tibben said. “Whenever you have time, go over what you went over in class that day.”

Casey Franz, a freshman studying physics and pre-computer science, said her method is to “use the spare time in between classes to get things done.” That two-hour nap break could turn into a two-hour study break.

Everyone learns differently, and therefore, everyone studies differently. One way to get the most out of your studying is to really discover what works for you. Maybe you learn best by rewriting the notes you took in class, or maybe by making flashcards of important terms to remember.

If you’re not sure about something, or want some extra assistance, go to one of the many Think Tank locations on campus. The Think Tank mainly offers drop-in tutoring for math and English, but there are also drop-in hours for chemistry, physics, Spanish and more.

All right, so now you’ve done your studying and it’s the day of the test. What should you do?

“Don’t pull an all-nighter,” Tibben said. “Your brain won’t be as sharp.” She also suggests to take a break before the test and “find some way to relax so you’re not super anxious.” 

Follow Taylor Brestel on Twitter