Mayor: More cops on the way

Tucson mayor Bob Walkup addresses the audience at a seminar titled Public Health Safety Issues in the Tucson Community in Drachman Hall on Wednesday.
    Tucson mayor Bob Walkup addresses the audience at a seminar titled ‘Public Health Safety Issues in the Tucson Community’ in Drachman Hall on Wednesday.

Tough economic times are gripping the nation, but local government officials say they won’t let it impact the safety of Tucson’s streets.

“”During this period we want to protect our public safety and provide support until the very end,”” Tucson Mayor Bob Walkup said. “”And that’s exactly what we’re doing.””

Walkup and assistant city manager and former Chief of Police Richard Miranda held a public seminar Wednesday in Roy P. Drachman Hall, 1295 N. Martin Ave., to talk about public safety issues with the community.

During this troubled economic period, the government of Tucson is not going to accept any degradation of public safety, Walkup said.

“”We hope to add around 500 new officers within the next five to seven years,”” Miranda said. “”In addition, by July, the city of Tucson will have more police officers working on the streets than ever before.””

He said the economic recession and widespread job loss are factors that may increase the number of crimes such as theft and burglary in Tucson.

“”It’s going to be an interesting phenomenon to watch what happens with the crime rate,”” Miranda said. “”We’ve experienced heightened crime rates even when the economy was doing well. It’s a much higher possibility because layoffs in the workforce are all around us.””

Public health and safety are key factors to upholding a successful city, Walkup said.

“”Maintaining health and safety is one of the elements of what makes a community great,”” he said. “”The role it plays in providing for high quality for life and place for the people.””

The mayor and assistant city manager also discussed safety issues on and around the UA campus.

“”In terms of overall wellness and safety of the UA campus, people have to be willing to call the police and report suspicious persons or activity,”” Miranda said. “”TPD and UAPD are always willing to come out and check out the situation.””

Walkup said UA students are probably more of a positive influence than anything.

“”With positive energy, activities, along with a safe environment, one of the greatnesses of the city is having the university here,”” Walkup said. “”UA students bring out the very best of Tucson.””