Gaslight Theatre’s latest musical comedy a delectable delight

The Gaslight Theatre’s “”Frankenstein Lives! or The Jolt’s on You!”” is a laugh-out-loud, musical-comedy spoof that surely has Mary Shelley rolling over in her grave. While Shelley’s monster reveals themes and motifs, namely the danger of knowledge and science, monstrosity and alienation, the Gaslight’s monster sure can belt out a doo-wop tune.

The year is 1880 and we find ourselves at Frankenstein castle in Germany, where Victor Frankenstein has become obsessed with completing his father’s work – work that led to his demise. The son succeeds and creates a monster.

Frankenstein’s monster is simply misunderstood and just wants a friend, whom he finds in the form of Greta, a young blind girl whose parents take care of the castle. In an odd twist of events, Dr. Frankenstein’s fiancé becomes Frankenstein’s girlfriend.

I couldn’t stop laughing during this play and neither could Victor Frankenstein, played by Todd Thompson. While breaking character would generally kill the suspension of disbelief that makes or breaks a play, this show is so silly that it actually adds something. “”Frankenstein Lives! Or The Jolt’s on You!”” goes for all the laughs with no pun left unturned. That, along with the audience interaction, makes this show a hilarious mish-mash of song and dance. Don’t forget to check out the lyrics in the newspaper-style program so you can sing along.

In addition to a good laugh, the Gaslight offers a full food and beverage menu, provided by Little Anthony’s Diner, which makes their shows delicious and funny.

The Ed Sullivan Olio that ends the show is an old timey laugh-fest. It includes some fantastic impersonations including Elvis, The Beatles and, of course, Ed Sullivan. Don’t forget to mention if it’s your birthday, your anniversary or if you’re from out of town. At the end of the show you’ll get free ice cream. The show runs Tuesdays through Sundays until Nov. 1, and student tickets cost $15.95.