Zona Zoo kicks off Bear Down Fridays

After a successful turnout for its tailgate before the Arizona football team’s home opener against Brigham Young two weeks ago, this afternoon Zona Zoo will put on its first-ever “”Bear Down Fridays,”” a block party to get fans ready for the game Saturday.

They will be held the Friday before all home football games this year from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. on University Boulevard between Park Avenue and Euclid Avenue, which will be blocked off.

Although Zona Zoo members will have the chance to win better prizes than those without a pass, all community members are invited to the event.

Zona Zoo director Michael Huston said that Zona Zoo pass holders have never gotten so much out of their cards.

“”Bear Down Fridays is going to be one of the best things to ever happen to Zona Zoo,”” he said. “”We put a lot of hard work into it, and fans won’t be disappointed.””

Included in the block party are specials from the businesses surrounding University Boulevard, such as Style America’s promotion of putting free red streaks in the hair of spirited fans and live entertainment from a DJ on the balcony of The Fat Greek restaurant.

Along with the promotions offered by the local businesses, there will also be

activities for the fans,ÿincluding a car smash, where a car will be painted in the opposition’s colors every weeks and fans will get the opportunity to smash it.

In addition, there will be pictures both with Wilbur and Wilma and in a band uniform or football pads and jersey, a dunk tank, volleyball and basketball games on the street, dancing and a contest with prizes for most outrageous fan or cheer.

“”This event is going to bring fun and enjoyment to all Arizona fans and community members,”” Huston said.