Summer movie guide: Check out our picks for the best movies to see this summer

Pixar
    Movie poster for Finding Dory.

As the infamous wave of 100+ degree heat rolls into Tucson this summer, we will inevitably make our way indoors. After us bored UA students eventually get bored of spending too much time at home and it hits us that this scorching desert offers literally nothing to do, we will flock to the one place that we can always rely on for reprieve: the movies.

Luckily, a slew of new movies arrives this summer. Here’s the rundown on the best ones to see in the coming months.

“Finding Dory”: On June 17, one of the summer’s most anticipated films will hit the big screen. “Finding Dory,” the long-awaited sequel to “Finding Nemo,” will return to the wonderful underwater world created in the first film, but Dory is the one who gets lost this time (now that Nemo probably learned his lesson). This sequel builds upon its predecessor and breathes new life into the franchise, instead of just coasting on the groundwork laid by the original, as many sequels often do.

“Independence Day: Resurgence”: The original “Independence Day” made for a pretty average alien invasion flick in 1996. This sequel isn’t necessary, but nevertheless it premieres in theaters June 24. Director Roland Emmerich will return, along with cast members Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman. Unfortunately, Will Smith will not return. Instead, Liam Hemsworth will take the reins as the leading man. He has nowhere near the star power of Will Smith, but hopefully he can still elevate the film to better-than-average sequel status.

“The Purge: Election Year”: The next installment of “The Purge” franchise hits theaters on July 1. These movies are not particularly good, but also not particularly bad. Regardless, they are all wildly entertaining. Each of the three films highlights an annual holiday where for 12 hours, all crime becomes legal—even murder. As expected, chaos ensues with hauntingly entertaining results.

“Star Trek Beyond”: Continuing with this summer’s sequel tradition (and further confirming how lazy Hollywood has become), the next “Star Trek” film hits theaters July 22. The first two films in this series are both fantastic, so expectations for this one are pretty high. Most of the cast will return, but director JJ Abrams—who directed the first two “Star Trek” installments—will not, as he stepped away to direct “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.” Despite Abrams’ departure from the franchise, “Star Trek Beyond” should still deliver.

“Jason Bourne”: Matt Damon returns on July 29 in one of the best roles of his career—the one and only Jason Bourne. This film marks Damon’s fourth time playing the character, and hopefully it will elevate the series back to greatness after 2012’s mediocre “The Bourne Legacy,” the only Bourne film that didn’t star Damon. A disappointing installment of the franchise will leave fans empty and longing for more, so let’s hope for the best.

“Suicide Squad”: Will Smith may not star in “Independence Day: Resurgence,” but his fans can still get their Fresh Prince fix thanks to the villain ensemble film, “Suicide Squad.” This action-packed film premieres on August 5, and those who enjoy unique takes on superhero films smiliar to “Deadpool” will likely enjoy this one as well. If superhero action flicks aren’t your thing, Jared Leto’s Joker performance alone should make the film worth watching.

“Sausage Party”: “Sausage Party,” opening August 12, aims to break new comedic ground. The animated ensemble comedy takes a look at the horror felt by different types of food after they get brought home from the grocery store and realize the fate in store for them. The premise sounds a bit ridiculous, but the preview looks funny, so hopefully the film will provide some laughs.

These films alone are enough reason to take a trip the movies this summer. Whether you want to escape from the unbearable heat, or just the equally unbearable monotony of life, make sure to check these movies out.

Follow Alec Kuehnle on Twitter.